Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: NorCal mini meetup  (Read 5887 times)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
NorCal mini meetup
« on: August 16, 2014, 07:09:09 AM »
The genesis of this mini meet up started a couple of weeks ago with the C/L posting of a Weber Ranch kettle.  I had never seen an older style ranch before, so like a true grillfella, I dropped everything and made the 45 minute trip to see this wonderful old beast.   I was not a buyer, so I took lots of pics and then shared the kettle with NorCal WKC to see if anyone had interest.  After a couple of weeks, the seller sent me a text with pricing close to what I would pay, so another trip was in order.  To make room for this potential acquisition, I contacted Argentflame as I had a 22 WSM and I knew he was looking for one.  He promptly agreed to make the 1.5 hour trip up to meet me halfway.  Buckie lives close to the seller of the ranch, so I enlisted him to ride shotgun.  We set off to see the ranch:

Buckie and I arrived at the sellers house.  While buckie expertly distracted all the other parties present, I take the opportunity and play hardball on the pricing with the owner.  A deal is struck and we load her up. 

Despite Argentflame's crappy directions, we mange to meet him in Davis CA, the halfway point.  Argentflame (with his new 22 WSM) and Buckie:

Buckie provides the seal of approval on the underside of the spaceship:

Buckie explaining that a ranch kettle, is indeed, larger than a 22 OTG:

"I know there are assembly instructions somewhere on this smoker"

Tres Amigos:

Argentflame's car alarm went off and would not stop for about 5 minutes.  Three guys in a public parking lot, taking pictures of weird looking kettles, moving stuff in and out of vehicles with the car alarm blaring was starting to draw some attention.  We quickly packed the kettles up, managed to quiet the alarm, and decided to get something to eat.

The sight of 3 large pink pigs in the parking lot had us hoping for some BBQ (kudos to the skater-kid who took the picture, he knows how to frame a shot!):

While I patiently listen to the explanation of why the burgers are so small, Buckie explains how he is going to recreate sweet potato tater-tots on a Weber:

We had a great time.  A kettle was acquired, a smoker was swapped, and we enjoyed each others company as always in the WKC spirit!

Winz

In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: NorCal mini meetup
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 07:28:27 AM »

Great story man !!!

(except for the Alien part in the other pic)

That was a fun time, even the huge traffic jam coming back was not too, too rough, as I always like talking with Winz, a real interesting fellow all around !!!

Great to see Alvin, also one of my favorite folks.....he's becoming quite the kettle trader....watch out you guys down there....he''ll be exceeding the 30-minute rule all the time next !!!

PS: "Buckie explains how he is going to recreate sweet potato tater-tots on a Weber:"

already got this talked over w/ Mrs. Buckie & she's got it figgered..... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 08:32:52 AM »
Looks like another great time guys! Love to read and see about these mini meetups! Sweet Ranch and 22 WSM!!  8)

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 09:48:34 AM »
Great narration Winz. I always have a great time with both of you. Never a dull moment. The RK is way too cool and I love the low stance. It is awesome seeing one in person. The  WSM I  got from Winz is perfect. Decked out with Zav handles and 2 grommets for my Maverick. I will post pics of the 22 and my 2 18's as soon as my son finished cleaning one of the the 18's. Buckie those sweet potato tater-tots where delicious. Can't wait how you and Mrs Buckie makes them on the Weber. By the way my wife just left the house. Time to hide the WSM in the shed.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 09:49:43 AM »
Love it!  Thanks for sharing, guys.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 10:39:50 AM »
Awesome story guys! That's how real grillfellas do it, helping one another out! Couldn't have happened to a better group of guys.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 10:44:08 AM »
It's like I was there.

Nice.
Dude, relax your chicken.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 12:14:49 PM »
Its like I wish I was there!!  8)

Alvin, lets talk about my silence.. I really like your wife.. we wouldn't want here to get any pictures in the mail, right?   ;) 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 04:30:57 PM »
PS: "Buckie explains how he is going to recreate sweet potato tater-tots on a Weber:"

already got this talked over w/ Mrs. Buckie & she's got it figgered..... 8)

That does not surprise me in the least....

Thanks for the goodies, had some with dinner tonight - excellent!

Winz

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 06:07:17 PM »

I did special mini-burgers last nite to commemorate the 24 hour anniversary of our impromptu meeetup..... 8)

No tater tots just yet....busy  learning how to grill at higher heats...... 8)

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 09:02:16 PM »
Awesome cook Buckie that is mouth watering.
Its like I wish I was there!!  8)

Alvin, lets talk about my silence.. I really like your wife.. we wouldn't want here to get any pictures in the mail, right?   ;) 8)
Aj let's have lunch. The Habit, Zachary's Pizza or the Philly Cheese Steak. Oh wait my favorite. Costco hotdogs/polish sausage with soda.

Here's a pic of my WSM family

The exotic Zav Handles. Winz my brother thank you for the handles.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 01:32:10 AM »
Alvin - you are fast becoming the WSM king of NorCal.  Nice line up!

By the way my wife just left the house. Time to hide the WSM in the shed.

Yesterday I unloaded the mothership from the truck.  As I was putting the lid on it, Mrs. Winz walked out on the deck and did not even notice the ranch.  I think she is numb to new kettles.

Winz

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 02:43:51 AM »

Glad to see everybody's all tucked in safe & sound at home....................

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the kettles &smokers, i mean.......... 8)

Oh, yeah, and you guys too !!!!

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 01:29:15 PM »
Awsome Winz! Just awsome.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 03:05:53 PM »
Awsome Winz! Just awsome.

Nate - we need to get you into the NorCal meet up rotation.  Will PM you next time to see if you are interested.

How is that Placerville Blackie coming along?

Winz