Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Newbie w/ resto questions...  (Read 1171 times)

Burgman08

• Happy Cooker
Newbie w/ resto questions...
« on: June 26, 2014, 11:22:22 AM »
My grandma gave me one of her neighbor's '68-'70 'Cado's and i'm deeply in love w/ it.  Use it all the time, started playing around w/ different smoking methods, flipping awesome.  Before i discovered WKC i purchased the replacement legs/wheels/tray and tossed the old stuff.  And after reading the forums, i realize i made a mistake (lesson learned).  Nonetheless, im looking for guidance in regard to cleaning up the kettle itself. 

The top is in really great shape.  I still need to drill out the rivets so i can clean under the vents (which need to be pounded out a bit) but the bottom has, what looks like, animal scratches (see link) and i'd like to clean up the handles a bit.

Now i've read about polishing (Mothers or Pam rub) and i've purchased a handle from Brian.  I understand i should hit all the rust spots w/ a wire brush before i repaint/seal anything.
My question is, how do i go about fixing the scratch issue along w/ the handles or is that taken care of via the priming process?

I really enjoy all the posts/pics and have been checking CL regularly for another kettle.  Thanks in advance for all your help and I have plans on 7/12/14 or i would join the Chicago crew for the meetup...

I attempted to attach photos, but if not there is a shutterfly link here...

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=1AauHLhk0atHLg

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 11:24:36 AM by Burgman08 »

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
Re: Newbie w/ resto questions...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 12:36:18 PM »
Nice cado Burg! The "scratches" are what's known as crazing. It occurs from too many high heat cooks with the coals banked near the area. I wouldn't bother painting her if you use it all the time. Get some SOS pads and scrub down the bowl and lid with dish soap and water. After, take some 0000 steel wool and do it again. It will come out super clean. The crazing is permanent unfortunately.

The rusting could be prevented from getting worse by sanding it down or using the steel wool again. Give it a spray with some Pam and it will keep it from getting worse. If you paint you'll run into problems with the paint changing color to a nasty brown or black eventually.

Handles and vent can be drilled through and the vents reattached with some SS nuts and bolts. Just replace the top handle with the screws Brian will send you.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 12:36:59 PM »
Where are you in IL?
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 04:08:59 PM »
Wow, that's a gorgeous kettle, Burg!  Thanks for rescuing it and taking such good care of it. 

I would second my brother and suggest that you don't try to prime or paint anything.  Those repairs literally 'don't stick', and end up making a worse mess.  Clean it up, try to retard the rust with some seasoning (aka, cooking oil and heat) and enjoy that thing even more than you already are!  Those older kettles seem to cook like magic-- they have a lot to teach us. 
One of the charcoal people.

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 04:43:35 PM »
Oh man, someday I want to own one of those...