Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Handle Question  (Read 1705 times)

GC8

• WKC Brave
Handle Question
« on: June 25, 2014, 04:20:02 PM »
This could be a dumb question from a semi-n00b, but I'm gonna ask it anyway.  I'm ordering some brilliant Zavod handles from Brian but when confirming single screw vs. double screw, I noticed something odd on my L code redhead.  The lid came without a handle (it was a CL freebie, so I can't complain) and upon further examination it looks as though it could accommodate either a single or double screw.  I polled the MN/WI crew and they were intrigued by it.  The roached bowl handles were barely held on by a single screw...and being an L code, I figured it should be a single screw but was there a period where the bare handles could accept both single screw and double rivets?

Pics:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
'79 22.5" Brownie - '00 Black SS Performer - '03 Green OTP - SJS Mini-WSM - Jumbo Joe - 22.5" Happy Cooker - '07 SJS

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Handle Question
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 04:42:05 PM »
Do the double rivet handles  have a recess in the back for those tabs? If yes, then they could fit. If not, then they wouldn't sit flat. Your kettle is pretty old relative to when they phased out the dual rivets so maybe those holes are just manufacturing features?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

GC8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 04:45:57 PM »
That's a good question, unfortunately on that I can't answer.  That being said, the single screw handles have the recess for those tabs, correct?  I want to ensure I get Brian the correct info so I can get this beautiful redhead hot ;)

'79 22.5" Brownie - '00 Black SS Performer - '03 Green OTP - SJS Mini-WSM - Jumbo Joe - 22.5" Happy Cooker - '07 SJS

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 05:06:26 PM »
That's a good question, unfortunately on that I can't answer.  That being said, the single screw handles have the recess for those tabs, correct?  I want to ensure I get Brian the correct info so I can get this beautiful redhead hot ;)

Yeah, the single screw handles have that recess. Kettles also never came with double rivet bowl handles- they were mbh at the time.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

GC8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 05:11:22 PM »

Yeah, the single screw handles have that recess. Kettles also never came with double rivet bowl handles- they were mbh at the time.

Yup, that has been one if my many learnings.  I'll be getting a double screw for my brownie MBH.  I'll let Brian know that I need single screw for my redhead.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 05:46:50 PM »
Kettles also never came with double rivet bowl handles- they were mbh at the time.
Some of the C codes did.
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 08:10:38 PM »
From an M code OTP redhead

Hope this helps
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 06:12:10 AM »
Kettles also never came with double rivet bowl handles- they were mbh at the time.
Some of the C codes did.

Yep. It would be interesting to see what the handle under neath looked like Joel.  I bet there are 3 holes in it.  Seems likely that Weber were making three hole handle straps during transition from rivet to screw handles so that the could accommodate either while inventory was used.

If I recall, we have examples of mismatched lids and bowls from this era.  The lid station on the assembly  line using one type and the bowl station another.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 07:09:00 AM »

Harris has a blue with 2-rivet handles on the bowl.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/1980-blue-with-double-rivet-side-handles/
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.