Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Advice of performer  (Read 1493 times)

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
Advice of performer
« on: May 25, 2014, 07:13:52 PM »
So currently I have a black OTG 2011, a black OTS 2014, Red OTG 2014, Green OTG 2014. As you can tell from the dates I just got into weber kettles, I've used them in the past but through my own ignorance I tossed a 2002 black 18.5 and gray 80's model my father had. Previously I've been using a a big charbroil for big bbq's and every two weeks or so I have company that requires me to use more than one kettle.

I've been giving serious thought to getting a performer the only problem is that I can't seem to find any vintage ones on CL in my area and I've kept my eyes open for the past few weeks for anything and everything weber on out on curbs, but haven't come up with anything. So the question is do I buy a new performer and get a copper one or wait around for one to pop up?

I'd really like to get some older stuff, just hasn't popped up yet. What would you guys do?

Money isn't really an object as I'm employed and currently single (saves a lot  :)).

Any thoughts on color, quality, etc? Should I just wait?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Advice of performer
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 07:28:04 PM »
It boils down to how frequently used ones come up in your area and how patient you are, right? I've seen the copper Performer at my local HD and it's nice. You may be better off with a 26.75" however.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 07:38:16 PM »
Just my opinion but I'm not a fan of the newer Performers. The colors are fine but the finish sucks, not into the matte finishes.
Weber kettles should be shiny, that said how "vintage" are you looking for? I have 3 AD (2010 vintage) but I absolutely didn't intend to
have all AD Performers it just worked out that way and the only Performers I have seen in my area in the last few months have all
been overpriced IMHO but I just found a blue DR (2006) for a neighbor priced right at a hundred (bit pricey) and it needs an igniter kit.
If the only way to put hands on one right now is going new and you can afford it then pick a color you like a take it home and
start gunking it up by cooking every chance you get, the more gunk the better the seal and better temp control. Hope this helps.
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 10:14:24 PM »
If you like copper and like the plastic performers, but one and don't look back. I've never heard of someone regretting a performer purchase. If you prefer the SS version then just wait patiently on CL or open up your search to surrounding states.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 11:33:37 PM »
I bought one new last year and love that I got to assemble it and be 1st to cook on a brand spanking new Performer. That said, I also cherish adopting abused and neglected kettles that need love. But by all means, go get yourself a new one in the color you like - you don't know what colors are going to be dropped next model year. Still wishing I got blue instead of black... Shouldn't have listened to my friend who thought it looked "kinda gay"...  haha

Sent via smoke signals from my Weber kettle

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 03:08:16 AM »

Money isn't really an object as I'm employed and currently single (saves a lot  :)).

In that case get both.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 09:18:06 AM »
I have a question that might fit in a general thread such as this, and it's about the electronic ignition the new ones come with.

Can it be retrofitted to any of the earlier models, and is it more reliable (to start, that is), or just an easier button to push?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch