Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need your help with lump.  (Read 7530 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Need your help with lump.
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2014, 07:34:53 PM »

Well, shuck-e-darn........you're leaps & bounds ahead of me today !!!

See Here:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/hyena-brisket-w-taterzilla/msg106978/#msg106978

Kind of, but not totally, a fistfight with lump charcoal................. :o
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

ChrisJ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 01:40:22 PM »
Cooking with lump charcoal in the smokey joe gold today.
Ran out of room on my gas Weber cooking a ton of chicken drumsticks so I overflowed onto the smokey joe.  :)

Sometimes you just need more grills.

I keep the Jumbo Joe up at my parents house so I don't have access to that today.  Kinda thinking I see a 22.5" kettle in my future though.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 03:52:42 PM »

Sometimes you just need more grills.

Kinda thinking I see a 22.5" kettle in my future though.

Yep, this is how it starts......I fear you may have the beginning symptoms of Weberitis......

there is no known cure.....relax, just go with the flow............it's a pleasant disease..................

Soon, your back yard will look like this (only neater):

Relax, it will STILL be OK.......

.....it may even come to look something like this:

You can build up.......

....or you can build out......

....or just go big....

...or stay small.....

Perhaps go for the rare "Lookers"........

......or choose to customize....

You'll definitely develop a following, loyal fans & helpers.....

....and most likely find yourself grilling & smoking in all kinds of weather............

But, like said, relax & enjoy the ride !!!!

PS: What color 22-1/2" are you looking for.............

ChrisJ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2015, 11:16:24 AM »
Hi all,

Sorry for not posting in so long!  :(

I'm come quite a long way with charcoal.  I just got my hands on a used 18.5" kettle yesterday at a yard sale.  Other than rusty racks which cleaned up nice, some minor rust on the lid and a loose leg it's in pretty good shape.

I'm now up to three kettles.

A Weber Smokey Joe Gold which I hate.
A Weber Jumbo Joe which is pretty nice
A Weber 18.5" Silver one touch kettle.

I also have my natural gas Weber but I'm sure no one here cares about that ;).

Picking up a bag of Royal Oak today.  I've heard good things about it and want to try it.  So far the only thing I've used is Frontier brand lump and haven't used Kingsford original in a long time.

Here's two pictures of the new to me used kettle.

https://scontent-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/t31.0-8/s960x960/11092812_10153174687886253_3000796938856705135_o.jpg

https://scontent-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/11141738_10153174688391253_5244035342832275745_o.jpg

ChrisJ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2015, 11:20:51 AM »
By the way, am I the only one that hates the Smokey Joe Gold?  Why is it even made!?

It seems like the silver would be 100 times better and all it's missing is the locking handle for the lid.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2015, 12:10:15 PM »
Howdy Chris....good to see you stop in......

There's a whole section for gas & electric stuff now.....nobody frowns on gassers really, just that the kettles are a main focus.....

Glad you did get an 18.5" though......those things can do a lot....see~~~>

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/previous-don't-really-need-all-those-kettles-just-one-18-12'-5/msg7900/#msg7900

ChrisJ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2015, 12:59:17 PM »
Howdy Chris....good to see you stop in......

There's a whole section for gas & electric stuff now.....nobody frowns on gassers really, just that the kettles are a main focus.....

Glad you did get an 18.5" though......those things can do a lot....see~~~>

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/previous-don't-really-need-all-those-kettles-just-one-18-12'-5/msg7900/#msg7900

Yep, I have noticed the standard 18.5" is quite a bit deeper than my Jumbo Joe.  Seems to really make a difference too.
I have hopes of getting either a 22.5 or a 26" in the near future.  The 26" looks perfect but not sure if I can convince the wife that I need it as much as it costs.  I constantly get told "Don't you already have a bunch of grills?"   :P

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2015, 01:50:38 PM »
By the way, am I the only one that hates the Smokey Joe Gold?  Why is it even made!?

It seems like the silver would be 100 times better and all it's missing is the locking handle for the lid.
This is why i like the Gold over the silver, others like the silver for a mini smoker YMMV :)
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2015, 02:43:39 PM »
Good to see you around!
I have been buying R.O. lump lately because it has been cheap. It has been pretty good charcoal, but I do find a few foreign objects in it.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

ChrisJ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2015, 02:46:22 PM »

This is why i like the Gold over the silver, others like the silver for a mini smoker YMMV :)

That's a little different than using it in it's stock configuration. :)

So far what I've found with the smokey joe gold is you have to keep the charcoal to one side and the lid off half of the time.  If you try to use it like a normal kettle and fill the bottom with charcoal to use the entire grill the fire goes out.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2015, 02:50:08 PM »

So far what I've found with the smokey joe gold is you have to keep the charcoal to one side and the lid off half of the time.  If you try to use it like a normal kettle and fill the bottom with charcoal to use the entire grill the fire goes out.
I have never used it in stock config as i have heard it was hard to keep hot as you have found out, the only reason i have the gold is just for the smoker.

ChrisJ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2015, 02:51:53 PM »

I have never used it in stock config as i have heard it was hard to keep hot as you have found out, the only reason i have the gold is just for the smoker.

Did you make that, or is it something available for purchase?
Seems like it would work really well!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2015, 03:02:19 PM »
I built mine using a 32 qt tamale steamer pot from Wally world some order them such as this one: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/trading-post/vasconia-pots-for-mini-wsm-on-clearance-at-pfaltzgraff-%28$29-99%29/
cut out the bottom and use the steamer tray as a diffuser, mount grates and BAM! ;D
Do a search here for a more detailed guide on building one.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2015, 03:39:46 PM »
... I constantly get told "Don't you already have a bunch of grills?"   :P

Yeah OK. Answer:

"Hard to say, hon, I like them the way some people like shoes and purses. Except mine never go out of style. And mine all cook delicious food. Sorry, what was the question again?"
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch