Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Not what I expected...Updated Pictures  (Read 17017 times)

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Re: Not what I expected...
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 11:30:01 AM »
Must be the elusive prototype for the original Touch N Go or now known as the Performer..Show us the brackets that mount to the bowl..Please.  8)

AJ, I have the answer to your question on elusive.
From Weber:

"Hello,

Thank you for your email. Well, it does seem like most of the parts are Weber but they are from different grills. The frame to that grill is not original. This grill has been modified more than most I've seen. Unfortunately we would have absolutely no parts available for replacement on this grill. I apologize for any inconvenience.

If you need further assistance, please let me know."

Thank you,

XXXX
Customer Service Representative

I spoke with the CSR after this. They brought this to the manager. They think this was a backyard project...
Personally, after speaking with the person I purchased this from, this grill was made for the Salesman, in
appreciation for his service at Weber. The decorative wood around this, is identical to the handle wood.
I am going to check more closely, hoping to find "Weber" burned in the trim.

Update, I have spoke with Chad, he is coming to put another set of eyes on the authenticity of this grill.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 01:28:09 PM by glrasmussen »

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Re: Not what I expected...Updated Pictures
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 07:30:44 PM »
Here are my thoughts on this grill.

The lid is from an original Weber gas kettle.  Yes, those vents on the lid are original.  I've seen them on several old gas kettles
The bowl is from a brown Performer based on those brackets pictured.  Yes, I have seen one brown SS Performer.  I'd like to see the ignitor and bowl section better too.
Im not too familar with gas grills, but thats what the frame looks like to me.  Its too bad most of those pictures are a bit blurry.

With older rare Weber grills...95% of Weber customer service have no clue one whats what...and many of us here on this board know much more than they do!! LOL
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 07:45:03 PM »
To me it looks like it was probably made by a Weber employee. Probably in his spare time with discarded or slightly defective parts. Then it was given to the salesman as some kind of present, maybe even jokingly..
Weber will never acknowledge it, but you could probably get it going.. There can't be too much to the gas part. The basics of a gas grill are a burner tube, a regulator, and an ignitor, which is not really esential.. Those grills have lava rocks that help keep the heat evenly distributed.
Take out all the lava rocks and see what the burner looks like..
AJ
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 04:34:02 AM »
Here are my thoughts on this grill.

The lid is from an original Weber gas kettle.  Yes, those vents on the lid are original.  I've seen them on several old gas kettles
The bowl is from a brown Performer based on those brackets pictured.  Yes, I have seen one brown SS Performer.  I'd like to see the ignitor and bowl section better too.
Im not too familar with gas grills, but thats what the frame looks like to me.  Its too bad most of those pictures are a bit blurry.

With older rare Weber grills...95% of Weber customer service have no clue one whats what...and many of us here on this board know much more than they do!! LOL

Here is a picture of the base. I can upload the inside of the bowl pic's. I took two, one in direct burn and the other in indirect cook mode.

The igniter is mounted on the left of the S/N# plate.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 05:38:11 AM »
Yeah...some pics of the bottom of the bowl itself, and one of the inside would be good.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2012, 05:42:03 AM »
Thats an interesting setup. I've never seen one like it. Learn something new everyday.

Craig

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2012, 05:57:33 AM »
Yeah...some pics of the bottom of the bowl itself, and one of the inside would be good.

I will get those posted tonight from home. Need to upload to photobucket.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2012, 04:20:34 PM »

I will get those posted tonight from home. Need to upload to photobucket.

Here is the bottom bowl and igniter. I also learned today the grill itself is 1979.
Sorry, I have not had time to clean... Greg

Full cook position.

Indirect cook position.

Igniter.

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2012, 06:34:30 PM »
Cool old grill.  I think you can get a round burner from Music City Metels, they used to sell replacements.  Also, I don't think that was a gas grill frame, the 22" bowl is to wide for the old Genesis frames, and there was always a ignition access hole in front panel on the Genesis gas grills.  It looks like the cart was made for that grill.  Definitely have not seen that one before.  Great find!

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2012, 09:17:13 PM »
I can't see where the gas comes out, but I suspect it won't light becuase the gas isn't flowing very well. You need to clean it and make sure the orifices are clear.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2012, 11:09:13 PM »
AJ....why don't you go make sure your orifices are clear?

Brian
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2012, 03:42:31 AM »
I can't see where the gas comes out, but I suspect it won't light becuase the gas isn't flowing very well. You need to clean it and make sure the orifices are clear.

It lights,  just not with igniter.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2012, 06:40:01 AM »
Does the igniter come apart? In order for it to light, 2 things have to happen.
First, the gas has to flow long enough to ignite.
Second, the igniter needs to be close to the gas..
Not trying to be a smart ass, its been my experinece that sometimes the "spark" isn;t close enough or strong enough to ignite the gas. Also, the gas needs to flow for a few seconds to get enough to ignite.
I wold still clean all that rust and check the burner orifices. I would think that this thing can dissassemble fairly easy.
I've neve seen that exact igniter, but I bet something could be adapted.
I still say it was made from leftover parts by one of the plant employees..
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 07:18:17 AM by Heyjude »

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2012, 07:04:57 AM »
Hey Brian,
Why don't you go blow it out your orrifice! 

Disclaimer:  For those who don't know it, Brian and I are friends.. Not in the "I love ya man" sense, but more of a, "You stay on your side of the country, and I'll stay in beautiful sunny California."
 8)

Click for weather forecast
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 07:17:28 AM by Heyjude »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2012, 07:30:26 AM »
This grill is so cool! Those grates would take alot of work to make since every length is different
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791