Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 2nd Annual WKC Chicago meet up  (Read 63870 times)

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Re: 2nd Annual WKC Chicago meet up
« Reply #135 on: August 03, 2014, 05:55:05 PM »
I was there and those pictures make it look awesome!  Great pics Jeff keep them coming!
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #136 on: August 03, 2014, 06:11:10 PM »
Now onto the yard and soon...the FOOD! 
An event like this is not an easy one to do.  Lots of work and preparation certainly goes into it.  Those of us that have hosted certainly know this.  Here is some of the work that went into getting the yard ready for the event.

Even a pond with goldfish...some of them may or may not have eaten a polish sassage!

I found something in the back of the yard behind the pool.  A secret non-descript looking shed.  Inside was a whole nother story!  I suspect someone is warehousing one of every part that might be needed...but I could be wrong.  Judge for yourself!

Some nighttime photos

Kettle collector AND cooker!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #137 on: August 03, 2014, 06:14:28 PM »

Nice !!!

The Flat Top ( A REAL FLAT TOP !!!) 55/56 was there......Thanks, Ernie !!!

And this :

The famous, and WELL traveled Custom!

Was this originally Ed's?

All kinds of Woodies & two Sevilles & Brownie row & The demo & co. & Grandpa & all the usual suspects....and......and......and.....and......

Pans of 'Turds & Doinks & other good lookin' stuff !!!

OK......Please tell me you got a pic of Brownie Row WITH the Go Anywhere AND kevin's Peg Leg ?

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #138 on: August 03, 2014, 06:24:52 PM »
Ready for the food pics???

Hank started by roasting his nuts... I mean some mixed nuts on the 14.5 WSM

Brian followed up with a roasted Chili dip and fresh salsa.

Hank was still busy at it. Next he was roasting some veggies along with some smashed potatoes.  The veggies were a big hit!

« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 06:33:52 PM by Jeff »

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #139 on: August 03, 2014, 06:33:12 PM »
Next up was Chris (Brickout).  He had what may have been one of the oddest combinations of food we all had.  Donuts wrapped with bacon...Oh yes he did.  And to boot...he used the baby blue Wooddale to make them on!
Behold.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #140 on: August 03, 2014, 06:37:19 PM »
My favorite thing ever!!! Seeing a classic kettle in action. I need to try these donuts..

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #141 on: August 03, 2014, 06:50:47 PM »
Now it was my turn to show that I just don't collect and have been known to make something other than a burger!  I decided to make some chicken lollipops.  18 of them...and let me say prepping these legs was some work.  Those tendons are so difficult to cut and then remove the rest of it of the end of the bone.  It was worth it though.  I seasoned them the night before with Three Little Pigs poultry seasoning, then the next day injected them with Texas Bird Bath, Habanero and Peach Mango flavor.  Lastly, I followed them up with a custom bbq sauce made from 4 other bbq sauces, Cajun seasoning, and Western French Dressing.

First started by getting Grandpa fired up with the one of the vintage fire-blowers.  Lighter fluid?  We don't need no stinkin' lighter fluid!

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #142 on: August 03, 2014, 07:04:52 PM »
Brian's up again.  He also made some delicious beef satay on a stick, fresh corn, and brats roasted in PBR.  I think we found a good reason to use PBR for anything not related to direct consumption!  YUMMM!  Notice also at first we started the Ranch with the old fire blower!  Like I said, we don't need no stinkin' lighter fluid here!  Later on for the brat boil, Ernie brought his weed blower on steroids to get things fired up again.  Lighter fluid?  Take that Gummi!

Brian thinking to himself...I hope I have enough!

Here is Ernie's weed burner on steroids...I'll call it Godzilla.

Hey...I think we found a use for PBR that doesn't involve direct consumption!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #143 on: August 03, 2014, 07:51:58 PM »

Nice !!!!

I know whatever Hank did w/ vegs & anything else was the bomb.....I see Brian pre-heated the beer before adding to the pan....that's a pro move there & the donuts went indirect.....good show, Chris.....I was a bit concerned.....some folks try to do donuts direct & it just doesn't work.......... 8)

6 volt fireblower, or 12?

the hanging chicken legs may just be the star of the show, looking
 from way over here anyways............. ;D

That's a great shot right there.....cooker row under Mesa Azul ~~~>

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #144 on: August 03, 2014, 08:07:35 PM »
Ernie had a cool old grill with him with a custom Roti on it.  No spacer was used.  Check out the pics.  He made some brats and potatoes.

I don't want to forget Terry's (Landgraftj) jalapeno and bacon wrapped poppers.  I was cooking at that time and missed the pics or prep and cook.   But I can attest that they were excellent!

Food table O' plenty!

Chimney Starters going all afternoon long!  Charcoal lighter Fluid??? Whatever!

Fun had by everyone!

Brian and Terry.  Brian, you look like you had one too many bites of food.  Hope you held that last bite down!

Terry's wife Nicki with the look on her face like she just can't eat one more bite of food!

Hank and Jeff's wife, Jean.

Kevin Kolman with Chris (Brickout), Brian (Zavod), and Terry (Landgraftj).  Terry's son in the background saying, "What about me daddy?"

Terry just finished up his poppers.

Some gifts for everyone left by Kevin Kolman of Weber. 

Kevin holding his rare and new Wooden Legged, old brown Smokey Joe, with some other vintage grills.

Ernie with his back towards us...yeah, he was camera shy!

The raffle winners!  Ernie won the black Jumbo Joe, Terry's friend Paul won the Smokey Joe Smoker, and Terry got the brown 26 to make him the 2nd person after Craig to have the Brownie Trifecta!

The future Mesa Azul...part II.  This one looks like it might be flame resistant!  :)

We can't forget our other guests that were present.

First we have Brian and Jenny's dogs.  Lucy in the first photo, and Phoebe (napping) in the second.   Ernie and his wife Betty also brought their new puppy with them.  Her name was Judy! 
See the last photo...even the dogs didn't get overlooked!  Thanks Brian!

Puppies Port O' John!

And for the record, I have no idea where THIS photo came from.  It wasn't me!  Really.  Maybe Myron Mixon snuck in at some point!  :)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #145 on: August 03, 2014, 08:14:58 PM »
Last but certainly not least, I have to give Brian a big thank you on this one.  ArgentFlame, its understood you have a hand in this one too.  One of the only grills that has eluded me was a colored Wooddale.  Brian and I have made some pretty big trades in the past, and I've helped him get a couple of Wooddales...26" Grandpa, his first Sequoia, and the Demo grill.  Brian went out of his way to pass this grill along to me.  It doesn't look like one of my typical grills, but I have big plans for it.  Stay tuned.  I couldn't be more happy.

Thanks again for hosting this years WKC Chicago Meet up!  Hope everyone enjoyed the write-up and photos!

And one more thing...if anyone might be up for a fall meetup in the Chicago area once school is back in and all of our vacation plans are done...we are up for it!

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #146 on: August 03, 2014, 08:30:40 PM »
Everything looks great! The people, the food, the grills.

Get togethers, big or small, are always a good time.

I have to be honest though, I was anxiously awaiting pics of the grills, especially the DEMO grill

8)
Dude, relax your chicken.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #147 on: August 03, 2014, 08:35:48 PM »
Everything looks great! The people, the food, the grills.

Get togethers, big or small, are always a good time.

I have to be honest though, I was anxiously awaiting pics of the grills, especially the DEMO grill

8)

Hope we didn't disappoint Dazzo!  The DEMO is standing proud with the triangle pan you made and so generously donated!  Thank you again!
Buckie...I'll get you some pics of the fire blower later.  It uses a lantern battery...I think its a 6V.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #148 on: August 03, 2014, 09:03:34 PM »
Looks like a great time had by one and all, and talk about some amazing grills! I've been anxiously awaiting pics all day and they surely didn't disappoint! Thanks for the photos Jeff and hat's off to zavod for hosting the whole event. You guys are so fortunate to all be able to meet up like that! Come on PNW crew lets figure something out!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #149 on: August 03, 2014, 10:15:30 PM »
Wow you guys really outdid yourself this time. It looks like another meet for the record books. So much bonding, fun, and generosity going on here- I love it! I also really enjoyed the write up. It almost felt like I was there with the Happy Cooker and lighter fluid. :)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791