Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Im a newbie, is my grandpas Weber valuable?  (Read 6013 times)

narps83

• Happy Cooker
Im a newbie, is my grandpas Weber valuable?
« on: October 23, 2012, 05:56:21 PM »
Hi Guys

Im a newbie to this site. i have inherited by grandpas old weber. It was bought for AUD $350 in the early 80's apparantly and used once. My grandpa didnt follow instructions properly and i dont know what happened but apparantly the lid blew off whilst cooking and he never used it again lol. Literally never! it sat in my dads workshop for  nearly 30 years until i received it a few months ago.

It is a gas one and my hubby and I are clearing out the back yard and decided to get rid of it. (we never used it either.) I have it listed on ebay and i have a collector quite interested in it but desperately wanting to know what year it is from? It doesnt have a letter stamped but from what i see on ebay this colour and the fact that its gas seems rare? According to some sites is a 1981 model due to the handles?

Is it valuable or rare at all? Should i keep it? Lol i have no idea! If i do sell it should i list it for more than the $10.00 i have it on there for? lol i have no idea!! Below are some pics.

After seeing this site im leaning towards keeping it as there seems to be so much love for them and i kinda feel like it should start using it and that i might have something great on my hands.

If any one can help me it would be much appreciated!  :D :D
Thanks!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Duke

• The Duke
Re: Im a newbie, is my grandpas Weber valuable?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 06:08:51 PM »
Welcome Narps!

That is a really nice grill you have! I would keep it. I bet it will cook everything you want it too and be a nice conversation piece as well since they haven't been made in such a long time.

Here's a thread on your gas weber.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/trading-post/is-this-what-i-think-it-is/

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 06:27:05 PM »
It is a really cool grill.  I would certainly give you ten dollars.  However the story behind it is way cooler in my opinion.  Having your grandpas old grill, that's still in your family is really cool  to me.   Now that you found this site maybe you can use it and make some great stuff.  To collectors, it is a rare grill, I have seen two like it this summer for sale.    Now that being said, is it valuable?  Well that is all relative, you could maybe $80-$100.  That is in my totally unofficial opinion.  That's a little more than what I would be willing to pay. I would prob make a move at $50.  To the right collector maybe you could get a hundred or more, sometimes people need to have this stuff and will pay high prices to get it.  At the end of the day you have to remember it is just a barbecue grill, but somehow to me having a cool old Weber grill is.....well, cool.  Unless you really don't intend to use it and you really need $50-$100 bucks, I would hold on to it, fix it up, cook on it and become a member here and show off all your great dishes.  Then use it for what it was designed for, cooking burgers on the fourth of July for your friends, Memorial Day cookouts, and hot dogs for the baseball all star game, and make all kinds of other interesting things.   Unless your a maniac like most of us you will prob never get another cool grill like this.  You could always try to cook on it and if you really just don't care about it, come back here in a couple of months and we will gladly  take it off your hands.....

Just my opinion.  Thanks for showing it to us.....

Brian
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 07:01:42 PM »
Just sell it to hogsy ( Joel )
He's the person asking you all the questions
That way you will know it will go to a good home
So either keep it and use it or sell it to hogsy at an agreeable amount
Before the listing ends
Or just MSG him a BIN price
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 07:30:27 PM »
Me and my big mouth ::)
It's gonna cost me close to a $100 to get it couriered across the country
So I won't be going crazy with the bidding
Although it would look good with my other 2 warriors
Funny though here I am talking about what I'm going to bid on a BBQ that's in OZ on an American website with the eBay seller joining in
It's a small world :)
Do what you want with the kettle just don't let it end up in landfill
Cheers
Hogsy
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 07:37:30 PM »
This topic amazes me and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Uniting grills, and grill enthusiasts worldwide is quite the achievement. THIS is why we created the weber kettle club!

Thank you everyone - this made my night! :)

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 07:59:04 PM »
This topic amazes me and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Uniting grills, and grill enthusiasts worldwide is quite the achievement. THIS is why we created the weber kettle club!

Thank you everyone - this made my night! :)

Yep! What he said. :)

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 02:02:25 AM »
I reckon you contact hogsy and give a buy it now price
I know off 4  min others watching who won't bid
Cause hogsy spotted first
So deduct at least 6 watchers or more from your list
Who won't bid cause hogsy has dibs on it
I emailed 12 people that we are weber mates with so you do the calc
How many watching?
GET ON THAT SHIT

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 06:29:28 AM »
That is pretty nice! I have my grandfather's 18.5 kettle, and it's an heirloom and a keeper. I will someday pass it down to one of my kids. My son is only 2 and he gets crazy excited when I get ready to grill. He calls our grills "a cookin' "! It makes me giggle everytime I hear him say it!  ;D Thank you for sharing your grill with us and the story behind it.  ;)

Craig

narps83

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 05:44:24 PM »
Hi Everyone. Thanks so much for all the replies, great to see how much you all love your webers! After speaking with the hubby we are really unsure whether we should actually sell it or not. Nothing to do with value or anything, i know its not a bar of gold bullion or anything lol but more to do with the fact that we havent even cooked on it so in a way dont really know what we are getting rid of.

@ Hogsy whether we sell it or not i still tried looking for that identification number (just our of curiosity) and still couldnt find anything other than a serial number starting with a G that was on the sticker on the middle leg (G67360 i think). So not sure what that means or doesnt mean but thought id let you know anyways as i said id try to find it for you.

Still a week to go on the auction so we still have a bit of time to decide what to do. Father in law also has a charcoal webber that we could have so i wont be weber-less i guess but not sure anyways. Maybe i should start my own collection lol  ;D

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 05:59:28 PM »
please tell me you found this site using a google search. :)

narps83

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 06:09:07 PM »
Sure did :)

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 06:19:35 PM »
Well if you do decide to move the grill Hogsy would give it a great home.  If it had to go he would be the perfect choice, you know he would do your grandpa proud....

Brian

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 01:54:30 AM »
I reckon $38.90 would be a fair price IMHO  8) ;)
GET ON THAT SHIT

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 06:00:45 AM »
Indubitably!

Brian