Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Big Beef Chuck on WSM??  (Read 1177 times)

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Big Beef Chuck on WSM??
« on: March 01, 2014, 01:18:09 PM »
I picked up an 8lb. chuck roast (7-bone) today. I am hoping to make a big pile of pulled beef. My plan is to put it on the WSM early tomorrow morning. I intend to let it run in the 225-250F range until it reaches 195-200F internal, then foil-cooler-towel for an hour or two.

I have seen some different ideas about foiling, adding liquid, layer of bacon, etc.  :-\

Does anyone have any suggestions or pointers? Thanks!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
Re: Big Beef Chuck on WSM??
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 02:02:04 PM »
Man that sounds good! I'd go with the set up as you have it and a nice rub, nothing else. Foiling will speed up the process and keep the chuck from forming a chewy bark, but still make a great pulled beef. I'd make tamales with all that beef, probably toquitos too ;D

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 05:42:43 PM »
To follow up this worked out very well. The cut was nearly all meat. Only two little pieces of bone. Rubbed with salt, pepper, garlic,onion, and chili powder then left in the fridge overnight.
Fired up the WSM and got the  meat on at 6:30am.
I left it alone until 3:30 this afternoon. The internal was 160°-175° with a nice dark bark. I put it in a pan with some liquid and put foil over it. At 5:00 it got the foil-towel-ice chest rest and at 6:00 I shredded it.
I was pretty happy with this for a first try. Next time I think I will forego the braising step and just let it finish on the grate.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 06:27:38 PM »
I just happened upon a grocer that stocks 7-bone roast today, and I'm looking forward to trying it.  A good lucking cut, for sure.  And boy, do I love me some chuck. 
One of the charcoal people.