Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hex one touch cleaning system removal  (Read 7327 times)

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
Hex one touch cleaning system removal
« on: January 03, 2014, 06:42:02 PM »
I have read the previous posts concerning this but my question is do i just cut through the entire hex nut itself or just the arm? The arm is broken off and its a nub now. All my one touch components are rotted away and broken off so i ordered the h style (7444) on amazon and should get it Tuesday. I have both an air cut off tool and a good old fashion hacksaw to fix this problem. So is it the whole thing or just that nub and twist it off? My other question is how neccessary is this cleaning stuff? I always clean the darn thing after using it. I have a large metal ash catching bucket underneath it. Thanks for all the help!
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

jimmy_dong

• WKC Brave
Re: Hex one touch cleaning system removal
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 07:19:17 PM »
cut off each side of the handle flush with the nut and be done with it.

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 09:44:42 PM »
As Jimmy said, if you cut both sides of the "arm" flush with the hex bolt, you can then push that bolt back through the bowl.  Might be a bit of rust to overcome as well, but pretty easy once you flush cut it. You'll see how exactly how it is held in place when you get the new ash sweeper, if you decide to wait.
Uncommon sense seeker

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 01:31:46 AM »
Zavod's pics

half way there.  Just cut the 'nub' on the other side and the entire hex nut will fall through

I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 03:16:28 PM »
Thanks everyone for the tips came off like butter after i used my metal cutter :) the new one should be here Tuesday part number 7444.
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

blackdog043

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 06:21:48 PM »
My other question is how neccessary is this cleaning stuff?
It's not just a cleaning system, it's how you control the temps. You may have to sweep the ash as your cooking also, if the vents get ashed over and block your air flow.
Bill    Looking for a Yellow

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 06:24:51 PM »
Thanks for the info Bill. Didnt realize it had a dual purpose. Good thing i decided to order the replacement instead of going without
Rollin coal

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 07:14:21 PM »
Thanks everyone. Couldnt update because ive been really sick the past couple of days. Today was the first time to get up and back on my feet (just to go to back to work). When i was feeling better though i installed the new one touch system. It seems a little flimsy compared to the original one that i removed, but it went in without a hitch. My issue/question is this though, is it suppose to scrape the bowl? If not, has anyone bent these to properly fit them and will it hurt the finish? If it is suppose to scrape, then will it damage the porcelain? Thanks all for the help and cant wait to fire this beauty up again. I now walk through the meat dept at our local store and say to myself, "bet that would taste good on the weber..."
Rollin coal

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 09:02:19 AM »
The sweeper arms are numbered 1, 2, & 3 because each one has a different offset.  Yeah, the fins are supposed to pretty much 'scrape' the bowl.  It's not enough tension to cause damage.  A lot of times I'll give each fin a little tweak before installation to make sure they get contact with the bowl.

There's very little in the grocery store that wouldn't be better on the Weber.  :D
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 12:11:57 PM »
i feel like kind of a dumbass for having cut the whole hex nut in half.

ahh well, i needed the dremel practice i guess.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 04:37:51 AM »
i feel like kind of a dumbass for having cut the whole hex nut in half.

No worries, dude ... I've done that before ... twice.

But, my concern was nicking the bowl once I got through.
Plus, I was using an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel.
No control on the RPM.  :-\ :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.