Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Jerky on the kettle  (Read 760 times)

nvandyke

• WKC Brave
Jerky on the kettle
« on: February 01, 2019, 12:21:57 PM »
Anyone have any tips for doing jerky on your kettle?  I've made it in the oven many times, but want to try on the kettle.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Jerky on the kettle
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 01:39:31 PM »
Yes. Get a nesco dehydrator. I’ve done it all ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Jerky on the kettle
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 04:56:30 PM »
The problem with a kettle or wsm or oven for that matter is there isn’t enough air movement and the temp needs to be around 145-160 imo. Higher than that cooks the jerky more than dehydrates it. I’ve found that the texture and overall final product is much better using a quality dehydrator.

I haven’t tried the kettle but I have used the wsm. It makes decent jerky but not near as good as a dehydrator imo.

I don’t want to discourage anyone that disagrees with me so speak up. It was probably user error on my part anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 05:01:39 AM by HoosierKettle »

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 06:50:28 AM »
I smoke jerky in my stick burner and finish in the oven with the door cracked to let moisture out...The kettle would be a challenge...I'm looking forward to seeing how it works for you...

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 09:28:06 PM »
I have made it in my 18" WSM, I struggle with the cooking/drying part but no matter, I make a damn good tasting jerky if I do say so myself.. I am also working on an idea to facilitate jerky making in the Smokey mountain..it's taking a while to get from concept to working product , lots of home projects in the way right now.  Anyway, I do turn out sufficiently dried and tasty jerky, have never tried in my kettle...
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.