Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cooking grate age guide  (Read 1696 times)

JDD

• WKC Ranger
Cooking grate age guide
« on: June 13, 2017, 11:30:40 AM »
While watching @Troy video (cleaning and seasoning vintage grates) it dawned on me that some of my kettles may not have age appropriate cooking grates. Now I'm wondering if anybody has put together a cooking grate age guide? Is there a way to determine if a cooking grate is age appropriate?   I have cooking grates piled all over the place and would like to sort them out by age if possible.

Am I wasting my time because it really doesn’t matter? How many of you guys even care if a grate is age appropriate? 
May The Smoke Be With You!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Cooking grate age guide
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 11:33:16 AM »
interesting question I am sure that the grate @Craig has all that stored in his grate mind!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 12:16:34 PM »
I do believe a man deserves an ass kicking if they mention the grate on your bbq isn't original

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 12:28:12 PM »
All I know is, the older ones were beefier!

When I'm lucky enough to get an MBH or earlier, I'm hoping it has the originals. It's disappointing if the grate has been updated, especially if it's non-hinged.  >:(
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 12:28:41 PM »
I know @Craig has notes on grates, even down to the shapes of the bends on the handles. He's obsessed.
I don't know if the data was consistent enough to warrant a guide though.

For 22" kettles, I always go with new grates. The vintage grates were thicker, but I've never found one worth restoring/using.
For the 26" grills, the new grates don't fit the old grills :(

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 01:53:32 PM »

I know @Craig has notes on grates, even down to the shapes of the bends on the handles. He's obsessed.
I don't know if the data was consistent enough to warrant a guide though.

For 22" kettles, I always go with new grates. The vintage grates were thicker, but I've never found one worth restoring/using.
For the 26" grills, the new grates don't fit the old grills :(

Meanwhile I'll spend hours fire cleaning, scrubbing and oiling up the old thicker non flips for many years of continued use. I'll get some grate pics here after a bit.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 07:18:46 PM »
Meanwhile I'll spend hours fire cleaning, scrubbing and oiling up the old thicker non flips for many years of continued use. I'll get some grate pics here after a bit.
[/quote]
Pictures would be cool, thank you. @Craig
May The Smoke Be With You!

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 08:21:05 PM »
I think the newer grates are not of the quality once used. They don't seen to last.
An older 22 grate is worth saving whenever possible..IMHO
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..