Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Summit Charcoal top vent question  (Read 611 times)

bs617

Summit Charcoal top vent question
« on: August 06, 2020, 07:47:48 AM »
I bought a used (probably only a few times) Weber Summit Charcoal and have used it a few times as well. I really like it but I have one issue I would like to solve, which is preventing the top vent from moving when I open the lid. The issue is the weight of the handle is enough to rotate the vent when the lid is opened. There are times I have forgotten to check it after closing the lid only to return to dropping temps and a closed vent. I try to have the handle in the rearward area to minimize the potential of opening the lid shifting the vent but it's no guarantee. There is some grease/soot build up between the top vent but not enough to generate enough friction to hold it's place.

For those of you who have one, did you have this problem? Is it just a matter of accumulating more "build up" on the vent? Any recommendations or ways to increase the friction or accelerate the build-up?

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
Re: Summit Charcoal top vent question
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 08:01:24 AM »
Mine did same thing. After a few long smokes it got enough build up that it stopped. Actually there’s enough build up now it won’t open or spin till it gets warmed up.

bs617

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 11:19:15 AM »
Thanks, I haven't smoked anything yet, so that's a good excuse to smoke something.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 12:30:44 PM »
Same advice as already stated.
Just cook on it for a while.
It will get gummed up and stop spinning so freely.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Kain

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 01:04:41 PM »
Never happened to me with mine. I always put the vent bit to the back not the front. If it’s at the front you then need to swing it around for the rapid fire. It’s sticky with grease and hard to open sometimes. Other than that no issues for me

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club