Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Which Food-Safe Twine??  (Read 1085 times)

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
Which Food-Safe Twine??
« on: August 05, 2020, 09:44:49 AM »
Which food-safe twine would you recommend to place a tied-up chicken on a untested Cajun Bandit Rotisserie placed on my Weber Performer Deluxe Charcoal Grill? 

As long as the twine comes close but does not spin-over the direct charcoal flame it should not ignite??
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 09:47:21 AM by tibas92017 »

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Which Food-Safe Twine??
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 10:33:21 AM »
Here’s what I use on the smoker, have not used it on a rotisserie - need to get one!  Regency Natural Cooking Twine 1/2... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002NU6HOI?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 11:00:11 AM »
Which food-safe twine would you recommend to place a tied-up chicken on a untested Cajun Bandit Rotisserie placed on my Weber Performer Deluxe Charcoal Grill? 

As long as the twine comes close but does not spin-over the direct charcoal flame it should not ignite??
I use natural 100% cotton butchers twine as @bamakettles has suggested. I've never had issues with twine igniting on my roti, tag ends if longer than 1/8" may ignite and burn back to the knot.

I say tie-up the chicken and spin away. Good luck and post a few pics of your cook.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 02:13:36 AM by AZ2FL »

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 06:26:38 PM »
Butchers twine at the grocery store in a gadget section is what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cellar2ful

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 08:17:38 PM »

I use what my butcher shop uses - Culinary Twine. Been using it to truss turkeys, chickens and roasts for several years.  I've never had any issues with it igniting when used on a rotisserie.  The string gets soaked in the juices from whatever it is trussing which prevents it from igniting.  You can order it on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Regency-Natural-Cooking-Twine-Cotton/dp/B002NU6HOI/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=culinary+string&qid=1596687232&sr=8-2
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 06:59:04 AM »
Fellow Members; thanx for your quick reply and excellent recommendations; my new Battery-Operated Cajun Bandit Rotisserie(CBR) with AC Adapter arrived last Monday and I plan on giving it a trial-run next week.

My first impression of my CBR is the very sturdy Stainless Steel Rotisserie Ring which slides-0n very easy on my Weber Performer Deluxe(WPD) and appears to be a great piece of work! When you flip-it-over it will fit a WSM 22", however, my WSM 18" "Classic" can't take advantage of this option. I decided on the 22" CBR unit in that I can also use my SlowNSear Plus and DripNGriddle Pan on my WPD.

I will try to post some pics in the near future.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 12:52:24 PM by tibas92017 »

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 07:18:06 AM »
I used regular white "Butchers twine" from the supermarket on mine.

But there are alternatives:

What Can You Use Instead of Butchers Twine?

In some cases, it's possible to use an alternative to butcher's twine—for instance, you could secure a stuffed chicken breast with toothpicks.

When it comes to trussing a chicken, some cooks have used skewers, a rope made of green onion, or even strips of the chicken's own skin to tie the legs back, but such creative measures aren't necessary. In a pinch, you can simply wrap the tips of the drumsticks and wings in foil.

Other twine alternatives include reusable roasting bands or ties made of heat-resistant silicone. If you're deciding whether to invest in a set of these versus a roll of kitchen twine, keep in mind that the reusable ones need to be washed after each use. They also may not be long enough to secure a large roast (or it may be expensive to buy enough of them to do so).

Another alternative is plain, unflavored, unwaxed dental floss. This actually works well and is also handy for making clean cuts in cakes and soft cheeses.

Note that linen twine can be used in place of cotton twine, but not jute twine. Jute twine is a brown, fibrous twine that is used in crafts and so on, and while it is made from vegetable fibers, it burns easily and sheds fibers, making it unsuitable for cooking.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 07:50:53 AM by Stoneage »

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 07:43:26 AM »
Fellow Members; thanx for your quick reply and excellent recommendations; my new Battery-Operated Cajun Bandit Rotisserie(CBR) with AC Adapter arrived last Monday and I plan on giving it a trial-run new week.

My first impression of my CBR is the very sturdy Stainless Steel Rotisserie Ring which slides-0n very easy on my Weber Performer Deluxe(WPD) and appears to be a great piece of work! When you flip-it-over it will fit a WSM 22", however, my WSM 18" "Classic" can't take advantage of this option. I decided on the 22" CBR unit in that I can also use my SlowNSear Plus and DripNGriddle Pan on my WPD.

I will try to post some pics in the near future.
I have a 22" CBR with 110v, it's a quality SS ring and fits my 22" MT perfectly. I've not used in on my 22" WSM, maybe someday.

CB makes great products, you'll have many great cooks with it and wonder why you didn't buy a roti sooner.