Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Am I overreacting?  (Read 1327 times)

rc

• WKC Brave
Am I overreacting?
« on: June 17, 2020, 03:40:39 PM »
Hey guys, I need some help deciding if this is worth brining up to Weber customers service or not. I recently purchased the Crate and Barrel Weber Performer in slate blue and man is it beautiful. I put it together over the weekend and didn’t notice it till today, but on the inside of the bowl on two of pieces of metal where you rest the grill grate there seems to be a bit of the enamel that’s chipping off. I have a couple of kettles and never seen anything like this before. My main concern is having it rust in those places without the enamel. I know it’s not a huge chip, but I paid way too much for this thing to prematurely rust on me because of poor manufacturing. Let me know if I’m overreacting, of if I should reach out to Weber and try to get a replacement. Here are a few pics for reference.

Thanks, Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 03:47:32 PM by rc »

Huh??

• Smokey Joe
Re: Am I overreacting?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 04:01:49 PM »
You never know. Make sure your Performer is registered with Weber, and give 'em a call. If they don't think it's an issue, it'll likely be documented with Weber. You'll have several years of happy cooking with it to find out for sure. Then, if it seems problematic during the warranty period, call again. Weber's history and reputation seem to indicate that they'll make it right.

Beautiful grill station, by the way.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 04:05:08 PM »
Personally I wouldn't worry to much. That's gonna get all greasy and smokey. It won't rust away.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MadGasser

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 04:19:38 PM »
Personally I wouldn't worry to much. That's gonna get all greasy and smokey. It won't rust away.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Exactly!

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

magic mike

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 04:22:23 PM »
What Darko said......

I would hit the area with a coat of spray Pam (or similar) before you cook on it; then spray again after you finish your initial cook and are shutting things down (while grill is still warm/hot).  That should hold you but as "Huh??" said, if you later discover an issue, Weber will make it right.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 04:24:51 PM »
I don’t know. I’ve seen older kettles with rust and chips on the outside of the bowl and only where the grate straps are.

If it were me and I paid for a new kettle I’d want my bowl replaced if I saw that rust around the grate straps.

Also consider this, you paid for a special color they may not have in a few years. If it does become an issue you could get a black bowl as a replacement.

Don’t bother calling Weber right now, I doubt you talk to a human with COVID-19 and their reduced staff.  Create a Weber ID on Weber.com and register your grill. Then fill out the warranty claim form online and wait for them to contact you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 04:28:05 PM »
After cooking it will never be perfect again.....cook on it.  These new models are not like the old IMO.  I’ve got a new ivory on the way (FD gift) and it will stay new more than likely while I cook on my ‘69 red this weekend for a family cookout.  They don’t make em like they used to.......

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

rc

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2020, 05:20:58 PM »

I don’t know. I’ve seen older kettles with rust and chips on the outside of the bowl and only where the grate straps are.

If it were me and I paid for a new kettle I’d want my bowl replaced if I saw that rust around the grate straps.

Also consider this, you paid for a special color they may not have in a few years. If it does become an issue you could get a black bowl as a replacement.

Don’t bother calling Weber right now, I doubt you talk to a human with COVID-19 and their reduced staff.  Create a Weber ID on Weber.com and register your grill. Then fill out the warranty claim form online and wait for them to contact you.

The possibility of getting a black bowl down the line due to slate blue being discontinued didn’t even cross my mind. I just filed a claim online. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 12:45:36 AM »
Glad to hear you got the Crate & Barrel.  When I first looked to see what they had, I was surprised they were no more than what you'd pay for a normal one at HD.

Sent from my SM-S260DL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

regards,
Hal

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 09:22:31 AM »
You paid good money for it and part of the price is the warranty.   If it bothers you, I have little doubt, Weber will replace it. 

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2020, 03:32:45 AM »
I had an issue with my 1 month old 26er.  Called Weber.  They replaced the part within a week.  So good.

You paid good money for it and part of the price is the warranty.   If it bothers you, I have little doubt, Weber will replace it. 

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app