Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Keep the patina or make like new?? Thoughts and tips?? (I’m wanting the patina)  (Read 1046 times)

Hubert311

• Smokey Joe
Did some Chromoveil restoration today, this is after 1 bath. The legs are currently in as well. The million dollar question is keep the patina or sandblast to new?  Personally I love the patina, she took 62 years to earn it. Check out the last photo, remnants of the original ‘Topper’ sticker are still intact... 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

smokeyjoe

• WKC Brave
I like the patina also.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
ISO Red Outrider.

SteveZ

• WKC Ranger
Andy keep it classic! Don't make it new. With age comes Grace!
SSP Caribique, Black 2nd Generation Performer, 2018 Green Performer, 1970 MBH 26 Black (Fleetwood) with Roti, 1965 Thumb Screw 49er, (2) Black 18 OTG, 2017 Black Master Touch, Black Genesis Silver B.  E code 14 WSM, AH code 18 WSM, AH code 22 WSM,

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Patina is my vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bladz

• WKC Ranger
Patina. It’s earned it

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
Evaporust it then clear coat. Probably loss a good about of the patina but I would want it to put last me too.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Ditch the patina, is my vote. 

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
If you love it...keep it.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Do whatever you think will best preserve it!
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Cellar2ful

With as much rust your ash pan has, I would be cautious about sand blasting it.  The powder coating/sand blasting place I use has told me that sand blasting always removes a small amount of the metal in the process.  This was the ash pan from my 57-58 Custom kettle. 

I didn't sand blast but used multiple applications of Evaporust on my ash pan.  It removed all the rust but I ended up with holes in the metal because the rust damage was so bad and deep. I think  you could end up with much larger holes if you sand blasted yours.  You can see the holes in my ash pan towards the middle of the pan. Even my front leg has holes due to rust damage.  The legs also were soaked in Evaporust.

I believe the ash pans originally were painted, not porcelain enamel. (*The below photos are not mine but were sourced from a kettle on a Ebay auction.)

« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 08:31:26 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"