Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pat Pending Restoration Question  (Read 538 times)

Uncle John

• Smokey Joe
Pat Pending Restoration Question
« on: July 02, 2019, 06:31:16 AM »
So I want to start cleaning up my new grill. The restoration guide says that I should just use a flat head screwdriver to pop the retaining nut off the wheel, but it's different style wheels in the guide than I have on my grill. Is it the same process for the wheels on a 69-70 grill? Also, any other pointers anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Go Wings!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Pat Pending Restoration Question
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 06:45:14 AM »
yours may be the steel retaining nut, same procedure, they just look different and are actually easier to get off most of the time
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 10:16:39 AM »
I prefer to use an automotive panel tool/prybar since it gives you better leverage and two contact points.  I also put a piece of cardboard/cloth under the tool to prevent damage to plastic wheels, or paint on steel wheels. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 10:48:23 AM »

I use two pry bars. One I lay across the wheel to protect the wheel and to provide a surface to use for leverage. The other is used to pry off the axle nut.  I just keep alternating from side to side, prying upwards. ''

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Uncle John

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 12:44:49 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I ended up using a screwdriver. Tom some elbow grease, but I got it.
Go Wings!

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 12:47:21 PM »
Honestly i put one wheel in the grass, step on it with both feet and then pull up on the other wheel. Works probably 70% of the time like butter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 05:35:45 AM »
I have seen people use paint can openers with a stick under it to protect the wheel. Works even better if you have two.  It is even easier if you aren't trying to salvage the nut.  If that's the case I just pop off the plastic and use a rotary tool cut off wheel.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.