Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Beer Can Chicken - First Attempt!  (Read 673 times)

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
Beer Can Chicken - First Attempt!
« on: June 11, 2019, 12:58:04 AM »
Hi fellow grillers...!!!

The other week, I did my first ever beer can chicken (can't recall the weight now!) on my Weber Master Touch.

My wife seasoned the chicken (several different spices, rubs with olive oil, lemon, etc...) and placed a beer can (with several holes pierced around the top) into its rear end (I poured half the beer out into the drip tray, which I placed under the chicken + had 2 full charcoal baskets either side of the drip tray) , and sat it in the center of my preheated grill.

I then used my ThermoPro thermometer probe, and inserted it into the breast meat, and fed the wire through the Weber top vent, so as not to pinch it via the lid and bowl, and let it cook until it hit 165F on the thermometer. The lid thermometer was reading around the 350F mark at the start (I only use this as a rough guide) but in any case, left the chicken to cook away.

It literally only took around 45 minutes before the probe registered 165F - I initially thought, that that was far too quick, but took out the chicken to see what was going on.  The breast meat was indeed cooked all the way through (we cut some off + juices ran clear whilst cutting a small piece off) so that was fine, however, we found that the leg part, specifically, where the leg joins the wing, was a still a little bloody (not much though) and would not come away easily from the rest of the bird (normally, when cooked thoroughly in an oven, this part would very easily pull away from the bird), so I ended up, putting the chicken back onto the grill (can still attached), and re-inserted the temp probe, into the leg/wing part, until this then came up to 165F also....

This probably took another 30 minutes or so before it was finally ready and when we did take it off, it looked amazing and tasted absolutely fantastic - so juicy!! So all in all, a great experience.

I have attached a couple of pics but any bits of advice you can offer, would be really appreciated as this was my first time so obviously, I'm looking to improve for next time.....
 :)

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
Re: Beer Can Chicken - First Attempt!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 04:51:06 PM »
Looks good to me!  Beer can chicken is always a fun cook!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 06:18:18 PM »
Personally, I find no advantage to cooking birds with a can in their ass...

It's either rotisserie or spatchcock for me...
Seems the can (and the liquid) sometimes slows the cooking and it's not unusual to have parts of the bird more done than others...

But your bird looks great...I like it...

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 06:57:34 PM »
Personally, I find no advantage to cooking birds with a can in their ass...

It's either rotisserie or spatchcock for me...
Seems the can (and the liquid) sometimes slows the cooking and it's not unusual to have parts of the bird more done than others...

But your bird looks great...I like it...

Ditto. There have been many tests that say the beer can chicken is a myth. It doesn’t impart any beer flavor or make the bird more moist. It actually takes the middle of the bird longer to get to 165 F and can lead to more undercooking than other methods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Beer Can Chicken - First Attempt!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 07:03:23 PM »
Vertical roasting makes an incredible bird. You guys are right that the liquid in the can is counter productive. That’s why I drink two thirds of the beer first. The last third acts as ballast and is outside of the bird anyway. Works perfect.  I have been wanting one of those beer can chicken holders to hold the bird but eliminate the can and beer altogether.

I would put my beer can chicken against any spatchcock or rotisserie. It’s not better but is easily as good.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 04:06:54 AM »
Vertical roasting makes an incredible bird. You guys are right that the liquid in the can is counter productive. That’s why I drink two thirds of the beer first. The last third acts as ballast and is outside of the bird anyway. Works perfect.  I have been wanting one of those beer can chicken holders to hold the bird but eliminate the can and beer altogether.

I would put my beer can chicken against any spatchcock or rotisserie. It’s not better but is easily as good.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Get one of those holders you won't regret it, then cook it in the basement with an inverted vortex, Grate combo and eliminate the issue of the can, and have more beer for the chef
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 05:28:10 AM »

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 05:35:47 AM »
...appreciate the replies - seems that there is no additional benefit then to 'beer can chicken' over the other methods mentioned above!!

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 06:12:28 AM »
Yeah, beer can up the butt never appealed to me. It was more a gimmick than a useful tool, IMHO. Believe me, I've tried it, and even bought the special racks to hold the can sturdy with the chicken on top. Never saw an advantage in flavor, and had issues with doneness throughout the bird.

JMHO, YMMV
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.