Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First project - not pretty, but functional  (Read 1194 times)

broma345

• Happy Cooker
First project - not pretty, but functional
« on: December 05, 2018, 12:41:29 PM »
Hello all, first time poster here.

My trusty grill died on Thanksgiving eve and i chanced upon a very nice modified one touch platinum on Craigslist soon after.  Arranged a meeting to see it and it was perfect!  I must say i was totally impressed and inspired by Mr.CPHo!!  Not only did he send me away w/ more than the grill, i had a great time chatting and seeing his garage of treasures!  Been using the weber at every opportunity since.

Anyway, fast forward a little bit and i found this forum too.  I felt so inspired by Charlie that i decided to fix up a kettle for a friend of mine for Christmas.  I found a basket case 22" original kettle locally for almost nothing and think ill try to put it back together w/ some of the more premium features like an ash catcher and maybe a thermometer in the lid.  This isn't going to be a pristine show piece but more of a functional one :).

So a quick questions for the experts, is there a preferred place for sourcing parts?  Things like the ash catcher, one touch sweeper, wheels?

Thanks again Charlie!  Couple pics below of the project.

Thanks!
Mark

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First project - not pretty, but functional
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 01:10:51 PM »
Welcome. That will be a great grill. Sweeps and enclosed ash catcher would be really nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

pancho2017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 01:51:07 PM »
Welcome. I'm far from being a Weber expert, but ereplacementparts.com is where I ordered a few parts from. I did find it's just a few cents more on shipping to order several items than just one. I actually got the 90720 SS ash sweeps and the 65143 ash catcher assembly and a few other things from them in one order (all came in a big box packaged nicely) and shipping was like $8. Might check them out.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 12:46:38 AM by pancho2017 »

pancho2017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 01:54:37 PM »
[emoji818]

SixZeroFour

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 02:24:06 PM »
Welcome to the site, it sounds like you've caught the Weber bug!

You also lucked out in running into Mr.CPHo, he's a legend around these parts 8)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 02:40:57 PM »

Welcome aboard.  Charlie is a great ambassador for the WKC community and has inspired many a grillfella.

I purchase all my parts directly from Weber.  Currently, Weber is offering free shipping on all orders.

Here is the phone number and part numbers you will need.    Weber Customer Service  800-466-1071

#90993  -  ash sweeps for 22"   

#65143  - ash bucket assembly for 22" kettle

#65930  - 6" wheel (they come 1 per package with new axle nuts included so you will need to order 2)

I personally would not bother installing a lid thermometer.  Most folks don't rely on them.  They use grill and meat temperature probes with a remote thermometer instead.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 03:01:58 PM »
Hello and Welcome!  Yes, you caught the Bug.

broma345

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 05:35:10 AM »
Thanks everyone, appreciate the info.  Will be disassembling and cleaning it up over the next few days.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
First project - not pretty, but functional
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 06:49:03 AM »
Mark, welcome to the madness known as Weberitis, for which there is only one cure: more Webers!

eReplacements is a great way to review schematics, learn part numbers, and order parts.  If you register your grills directly with Weber customer service, you may get a little wiggle room on pricing (especially if ordering multiple items).

Or you could pick up that cheap OTG listed on OfferUp locally for the stainless steel sweeps and ash bucket for less than half the price of new parts. 

It was really nice to meet you, feel free to stop by anytime... I don’t think you saw any of my “cookers” in the backyard!  [emoji51]

BTW, a few guys here also collect Coleman lanterns! 
Coleman lanterns http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=33631
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 06:52:44 AM by Mr.CPHo »

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 10:17:55 AM »
Welcome to the madness. Alas, it's a shame you met Charlie.... He's an enabler, LOL, but one of the nicest guys on this forum.

broma345

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 05:26:49 PM »
He is an enabler indeed!  And a really nice guy.  Charlie, thanks, I did check out that OTG and the parts get me most of the way there! 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club