Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Best Way To Get "Smoke"  (Read 1315 times)

Webby

• Smokey Joe
Best Way To Get "Smoke"
« on: August 01, 2018, 01:33:22 PM »
Heya!

I am looking for the best/easiest way to get smoke from my 22" kettle

Should I:

Place soaked chips directly on the charcoal?

Place soaked chips in aluminum foil, slit some holes and then put it on the charcoal?

Buy some kind of smoker box?

Any help would be awesome.

-Jake

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Best Way To Get "Smoke"
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 01:54:17 PM »
Don’t use chips and don’t soak any wood.

Read this please.
https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/grill-and-smoker-setup-and-firing/what-you-need-know-about-wood-smoke-and

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Best Way To Get "Smoke"
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 02:20:35 PM »
Smaller chunks in/above the baskets or placed in a snake burn works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 03:57:12 PM »
If all you have is chips soak for at least an hour. Drain off liquid and apply as much as you want directly on red Hot coals. It messy, but will produce heavy smoke for short period of time....for better results, use dry chunks.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Joshua_423

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 04:13:46 PM »
I use dry chips and it works pretty well. A hand full usually gets the job done. I use mostly fruit woods with pork and chicken.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Webby

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 04:49:11 PM »
Thanks!

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 07:30:21 AM »
If chips is all you can get, Soak them for at least an hour, drain off any excess water, and spread them as evenly as possible a bit at a time across your coals.

A friend uses chips, soaked and shaken dry, in a smoker box in his Weber. He gets decent results from it, but honestly, I get better using dry chunks.

I have used chips with success, but you end up really light on the smoke flavor. Which might be a good thing... In that case, just one shot of the soaked chips should do it...
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 10:27:53 AM »
I think dry chunks are the way to go, I have used chips and was not a big fan, they just don’t last long enough for my liking .

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 10:37:13 AM »
Take a chunk or 2 depending on length of cook and place it on the grate above your fire. It's all you need. Dont need a forest fire in your grill. Dont over smoke your food. Creosote is real.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 10:51:06 AM »
Take a chunk or 2 depending on length of cook and place it on the grate above your fire. It's all you need. Dont need a forest fire in your grill. Dont over smoke your food. Creosote is real.

Interesting concept. Never seen anyone do that.... Typically you place the chunk on your live coals and throttle the air back to keep it smoldering not open burning...
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 10:55:58 AM »
Chips for fast cooks, chunks for long cooks.  No need to soak.  You can mix wood in with charcoal or lay it on top of the charcoal, or you can make foil smoke bombs with chips, etc....more than one way to skin a cat....experiment and enjoy.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 11:05:18 AM »
I do that so I can control the smoke. I'll just remove the chunk if i wanna.

I ended up with this technique by accident. I loaded the grill and forgot the wood so I just threw it on the grate. Worked fine so I stuck with it. If I remember I'll throw it on the coals. Whatever technique works..just dont over smoke the food. Nobody likes turpentine flavored food.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Webby

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 03:59:16 PM »
Interesting how many suggest dry over wet. All these years I've just followed the direction that say to soak them for 30 minutes prior to using them. I always thought there was no way they could soak up must water in 30 minutes.

I am going to try the dry methods mention. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 04:03:20 PM »
I do chunks buried in or above a snake, chunk or two over the vortex on top of the cooking grate or buried inside the basket on the wsm. Never wet always dry.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2018, 04:49:52 PM »
That link I posted about smoke from Amazing Ribs is a great read. Always use dry wood and try to use chunks. When the white smoke starts to turn blue is when I put the meat on.

When all I have are chips then I’ll fill a pan and place them on the top grate with the food. Still waiting for the good smoke before putting food on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.