Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Structo, Buddy L, CharBroil ????  (Read 2802 times)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Structo, Buddy L, CharBroil ????
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2018, 04:42:44 PM »
I really like that setup especially the bowl vent control and that two tone paint.
Very cool catalog brewtown. It really looks like it’s apart of that family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2018, 06:25:12 AM »

I really like that setup especially the bowl vent control
I was just about to comment on the sweet bowl vent control! Personally, it looks easier to control than Weber’s. I always have to bend down and look up or try to look through the coals to see how open the vents are.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2018, 09:13:17 PM »
cool !

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2018, 12:50:11 PM »
So, I was able to obtain a copy of the Structo version of the brochure.  This is from the inside of the front cover:

Sure looks like you have a steel version of The American, by Structo.

Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2018, 01:55:50 PM »
Pretty cool whatever it is! 

I'm wondering if that bowl vent control has been modified somehow.  Any possible evidence of that @greenweb?  The "indicator panel" (for lack of a better term....the trim with "open" and I presume "closed" stamped on it) looks different than the old catalog photos.  Position seems wrong ( greenweb seems to have it closest to front leg, and the old photos show closer to rear leg).  The panel in the catalog photo also sort of looks more like the MBH off of a weber mounted vertical and looking down rather than a piece of sheet metal with an opening cut out of it.  Obviously anything might have been modified through the years, but the new pics dont seem to show any evidence of that having been in any other spot though.  Also the triangle pan on The American in the catalog doesnt seem like it would fit well on the lower supports of this....its squared off in the catalog but the supports on greenweb's seem like they come to a point and I'd imagine more of a true triangle shape to any top that would sit there.  The wheels certainly look just like the american....even the slight negative camber!
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2018, 04:21:03 PM »
@brewtownbeatdown - you are truly amazing! The American 3 legged version shown, comes close to what I have but....... question?  Where did you get the info that Structo made a steel version?

So, here is my observation so far, looking at the American version by Structo. What I have has many similarities to the American, including the shape and size of the lid and a bowl, triangle although different seems to be about the same height off the ground, and similar center vents with lever. Biggest diff. I see is the shape of the triangle, leg mount locations ( mine mounts to the bottom of the bowl with the brackets upside down?), handles, and lid hinge system.

Either Structo or made by unknown company back in 60's or 70's.... I am cool with it.  I would love to see a pic of the real deal though, so I can restore it back to how it was.

@lksdrinker - lower center vent control sys. all seems to be how it came from the factory. All stock.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2018, 05:07:56 PM »
...even the slight negative camber!

Yes, it helps with cornering.

These things are badass. So many interesting ideas they employed.

And Structo (or whomever) made grills like this on the side? Wow.

LET'S SEE WHAT IT CAN COOK, POR FAVOR.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2018, 05:23:04 PM »
Great score Dan! Congrats! You seem to find all the unique grills here in Ontario.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2018, 06:01:18 PM »
Thanks guys! I just need to clean inside and the cooking grate that is in good condition before cooking on it. It is in the backyard uncovered ready to go. Maybe this or next weekend. Big thanks to brewtownbeatdown for his educational info provided.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2018, 08:21:46 PM »
@brewtownbeatdown - you are truly amazing! The American 3 legged version shown, comes close to what I have but....... question?  Where did you get the info that Structo made a steel version?
My assumption is purely an educated guess.  Structo’s bread & butter grills were all made of steel, so it wouldn’t surprise me.

Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞