Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Griddle Showdown Emeril Cast Iron Griddle vs Cook's Essentials vs Euro-Q Jr  (Read 702 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
I keep saying the wrong name for the Cook's Essentials, Argh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMgPxJ3GwT4

Not included in the review was a Lodge cast iron skillet which has many of the same properties as the Emeril cast iron griddle except it is round and has higher sides which eliminates the likelihood of grease fires in the case of grease overflowing the edges.

I used a flat griddle with a small lip around the edges to do some smash burgers and bacon. Believe me if you've ever had a grease fire due to the grease overflowing onto the coals , it's no fun.  They can get pretty unruly.  The high sides and deep grease collecting trays are welcome features.

You don't need a ton of coals to get any of these griddles good and hot.

The Emeril rectangular one fits like a glove within the edges of the rectangular Weber Go-Anywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYR5VbqEmHk

The Cook's essentials was by far the easiest to handle and clean and was a joy to use on the 22 inch Weber Kettle.  I suspect it won't last a lifetime like a cast iron skillet that is well maintained but it also requires far less maintenance and won't rust.  For $16.46 I like it a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY-2lNEHXRM

The Little griddle required a decent amount of elbow grease to scrub clean with an sos pad.  I suppose you could let it season up and not be so crazy about getting every bit of burnt on stuff off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C9DHhjtnWk

« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 03:28:54 AM by captjoe06 »
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Excellent joe. I watched the whole thing. I have a full set of cooks essentials cookware from qvc. Pots and pans, not a griddle. They have the typical looking black non stick surface and typical of non stick cookware, they wear out in a couple years. Hopefully the coating holds up in yours but the price is good enough to replace it every couple years if need be.

Besides the fact that the cast iron griddle fits perfect on your cga, I hate everything else about that piece from looking at it. The shape and the lack of sides.

I will say I love my cast iron griddle over charcoal. It has 1/2” sides all around and the heat retention and even cooking when doing something like smash burgers is incredible. The best way that I clean my cast iron griddle is I heat it up on the stove and pour a little hot water in it. With the stove on, I give it a little scrape with a square head wooden spatula. A little simmering water loosens the toughest stuck on mess with ease. I then wipe it with oil and heat it to the smoke point and turn the burner off.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Excellent joe. I watched the whole thing. I have a full set of cooks essentials cookware from qvc. Pots and pans, not a griddle. They have the typical looking black non stick surface and typical of non stick cookware, they wear out in a couple years. Hopefully the coating holds up in yours but the price is good enough to replace it every couple years if need be.

Besides the fact that the cast iron griddle fits perfect on your cga, I hate everything else about that piece from looking at it. The shape and the lack of sides.

I will say I love my cast iron griddle over charcoal. It has 1/2” sides all around and the heat retention and even cooking when doing something like smash burgers is incredible. The best way that I clean my cast iron griddle is I heat it up on the stove and pour a little hot water in it. With the stove on, I give it a little scrape with a square head wooden spatula. A little simmering water loosens the toughest stuck on mess with ease. I then wipe it with oil and heat it to the smoke point and turn the burner off.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I think if I had running fresh water at the dock maintaining cast iron would be easier. The Cook's Essentials one at $16.33 is really nice for breakfast for a family. There's a good amount of space and the high sides contain the grease.

Just happened to have used all three this past week for cooks, also used a lodge Cast Iron pan but it was at the dock.

Supposed to pick up my first Jumbo Joe today. The round Cook's Essentials may reside inside there at the dock.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM