Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Is this a genuine Weber?!!  (Read 1200 times)

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
Is this a genuine Weber?!!
« on: May 21, 2018, 03:53:32 AM »
The other day, one of my mates texted me to say he'd bought a Weber and I thought, 'awesome - its a super bit of kit' and thought nothing more of it.  Then, the other day, he posted a pic of his new bbq and it looked like this:

Now, whilst I don't know every single Weber that is available in the shops, I certainly have never seen one like this before but if it works for him, then great!

Its weird though because it does seem to have an air vent at the top, also a charcoal grate inside and also some wire charcoal dividers (hanging up on the left) and an ash catcher (which I only thought Weber did) and kinda looks like a kettle too....

Is this a genuine Weber or some cheap knock off?!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 03:55:51 AM by deans6571 »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Is this a genuine Weber?!!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 04:14:52 AM »
It's a cheap knock off of a discontinued model, one of the ones called "Platinum" with the same concept.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 04:20:25 AM »
At some point he'll need to be gently told it's not a Weber, because when it begins to fall apart and/or rust he'll think Webers suck and won't buy "another."
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 04:29:19 AM »
It's a cheap knock off of a discontinued model, one of the ones called "Platinum" with the same concept.

At some point he'll need to be gently told it's not a Weber, because when it begins to fall apart and/or rust he'll think Webers suck and won't buy "another."

...LOL!! I thought as much!! Thanks for confirming - I might have to try and break it to him at some point....!!!

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 07:37:22 AM »
It is this.....
http://www.rankam.com/Product/Detail/294

These are the same folks who make grills for Kingsford.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 07:58:35 AM »
It is this.....

....ah right - thats interesting as it also has a Porcelain Coated Lid and Body, just like a genuine Weber!

I guess the actual cooking grates though will rust fairly quickly as they are only chrome plated...

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 08:16:47 AM »
It is this.....

....ah right - thats interesting as it also has a Porcelain Coated Lid and Body, just like a genuine Weber!

I guess the actual cooking grates though will rust fairly quickly as they are only chrome plated...

Judging by the quality I have seen of Kingsford branded grills, I do not think they are built to last, porcelain or not.  When seeing one up close, they simply come across as cheap.  But, I have no data to support that conclusion.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 09:48:19 AM »
Don't need data to support that.

You never see them on CL
You see them at the curb!

There's your data

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 09:50:48 AM »
Nickel plated grates come with most Webers also, of course.

But what's gonna look sad is when:

the lid vent
all the screws
that ash bucket
the frame

... on his, turns to rust.

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 10:40:58 AM »
Encourage the guy to register his grill with Weber for the ease of purchasing replacement parts and the 10 year no rust through warranty. 8)

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 10:43:29 AM »
That's just plain mean.
l like it!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 12:01:02 PM by YardBurner »

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 01:17:24 AM »
Nickel plated grates come with most Webers also, of course.

But what's gonna look sad is when:

the lid vent
all the screws
that ash bucket
the frame

... on his, turns to rust.

;D ;D