Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber performer has assist issues  (Read 2623 times)

jaynik

• WKC Brave
Re: Weber performer has assist issues
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2017, 02:33:52 PM »
Sounds like an igniter.  I know these guys don't care much for gas assist, but I'm a huge fan of it.  I would buy all the parts to replace it if it stopped working!

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2017, 02:47:10 PM »
Iv never used a gas assist before guess just knowing it was on the performer made me “ curious “.  I’m completely ok with the ol charcoal chimney . Never left me sitting [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 04:11:22 PM »
You still use the chimney with it but it simplifies the starting. Like most things, it makes a 3% improvement but all those things add up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2017, 04:26:09 PM »
My gas assist isn’t working right now either. I’m going to fix it by removing it and installing a stainless bolt in its place. It will never need fixing again.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 04:31:53 PM »
However you do need to fix it and have it working properly. Then decide which way you like better.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2017, 05:35:21 PM »
Try removing the philips head screw that holds the ignitor on. There may be a decent amount of corrosion preventing a strong spark. Clean the crud off the top of the electrode. Then use some sandpaper to clean the top and bottom of the electrode and ground. I usually give myself a good couple of shocks as a test but I'm nutty like that.

If that don't fix it the problem may be the pressure regulator. Mine pooped out..but I just swapped another one on.

Good luck. Congrats on the new addition.

Oh..a little tip on the chimney. Cut the bottom vents off. It will move every thing closer to the fire and cut down on light times with cubes or gas assist.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 05:39:51 PM by MINIgrillin »
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2017, 05:48:18 PM »
If it is a Weber chimney you can flip the inner coil grate so it points down and lowers the charcoal.  Same result as cutting the vents off the chimney and allows for more charcoal volume.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2017, 07:05:11 PM »
... the whole thing was free so I’m not gonna sink any money into it .

So doesn't that mean you could better afford to fix it?

grillparts.com has the entire gas tube + igniter for $30, but yeah, it's just that $10 or $15 igniter that's bad ... assuming it's just the ground at the screw that's weak.

If it won't turn off, I'm guessing this is a 2nd Gen or later Performer? The plastic knob is spinning on the shaft. "Squeeze" it while you turn it, to help it engage.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2017, 02:02:31 PM »
Ran into this same issue with an SSP.  Long story short, you kind of have to make sure that the ignitor spark lines up correctly with the gas orifice.  Iirc, there's a little screw and plate holding the electrode in place.  Loosen the screw a bit, this will allow you to move the electrode a bit.  Next is trial and error.   BTW, this part is easier with 2 people.  Turn gas on and hit the starter button, see I fit fires.  If not, from underneath, move ether electrode tip and try again.  Rinse/repeat until it fires up.  Then tighten screw down.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2017, 02:30:41 PM »

Ran into this same issue with an SSP.  Long story short, you kind of have to make sure that the ignitor spark lines up correctly with the gas orifice.  Iirc, there's a little screw and plate holding the electrode in place.  Loosen the screw a bit, this will allow you to move the electrode a bit.  Next is trial and error.   BTW, this part is easier with 2 people.  Turn gas on and hit the starter button, see I fit fires.  If not, from underneath, move ether electrode tip and try again.  Rinse/repeat until it fires up.  Then tighten screw down.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I’ll give that a shot . Not saying I’d use the assist every time but it would be nice it i just “ worked” . Appreciate all the feedback on this guys !

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2017, 07:42:40 AM »
I usually give myself a good couple of shocks as a test but I'm nutty like that.

I'm almost afraid to ask???? ;D :o 8) ::) :P