Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: So I'm going to put the bird(s) in a cold water bath  (Read 963 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
So I'm going to put the bird(s) in a cold water bath
« on: November 21, 2017, 08:19:48 AM »
I plan to fit both a 6.25 lb duck and a ~13lb turkey on the kettle rotisserie, late Thursday morning. No wet brine.

They've been in the fridge since Sunday afternoon, but at the rate they are going, there's no way they'll be thawed before Thursday morning, let alone tomorrow night if I want to uncover and season overnight in the fridge. And I think this stupid fridge partially freezes items in the back, where they've been parked.

My idea was to cold soak them both for a few hours today, doing my best to soak in only cold water, not room-temp water, and re-store them in the fridge overnight and repeat the process tomorrow.

Wondering if cold tap water (it's in the 50s outside during the day here, and closer to 30 at night) will be cool enough for like a 6-hour soak in the sink before going back in the fridge. If I have to introduce any ice that's gonna be a pain in the ass since the fridge won't make any. My Thermapen reports that the tap is currently 52 degrees. (My SS sink will permit a water temp rise than a porcelain CI sink would?)

I could Google how to defrost a frozen turkey, but where's the fun in that when I can subject myself to forum wrath? I was under the impression that since these are not huge birds that ~3 days would be enough, but I guess not. "You had ONE job ..." sez the mirror.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: So I'm going to put the bird(s) in a cold water bath
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 08:27:16 AM »
my lazy ass says water/homedepot bucket/ garage floor/ and cover. set your smoke thermo up to monitor your water temp. My mirror usually asks now what have you done ?
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 10:44:26 AM »
I was a little late on the defrost start too...☹️
I let it sit on the counter for a couple of hours when I first got it home, and I'll check on it later today. If it's still hard as a rock I'll let sit out a little more.
I'm probably wrong here, but I think  an hour on the counter to just get the defrost going won't hurt

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 11:38:05 AM »
I don't disagree, an hour won't hurt. You just can't completely defrost at higher temps without risking it. Ran across an article about cooking a FROZEN turkey but don't plan to go there. "Plan" LOL.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 11:42:10 AM »
Maybe next year’s WKC calendar should have a reminder to thaw the turkey a few days in advance of Thanksgiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 12:23:00 PM »
I've been told in fridge for 24 hrs per 4 pounds. I'm about to find out tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app