Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Info on landing grills please...  (Read 1364 times)

AnyThingGrilled

• WKC Brave
Info on landing grills please...
« on: October 27, 2017, 02:51:53 PM »
I need some tips on how to get grills. I’ve got two neighbors, one has a redhead and the other has an avocado both MHB.  I see them every time I drive or walk the block. I knocked on the door to the owner of the avocado introduced myself, said I saw his grill and would he be interested in selling it? He looked at me like what the hell is wrong with this guy and said that it’s his daily user after his gassers went out. I’m  sure that he’s not too attached to it. In your experience what is good verbiage, trade grills or anything that works to get that grill?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Info on landing grills please...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 04:09:19 PM »
Show up to his house with a new grill to trade. And leave it there. That'll let him know you're serious, but it won't do much for helping him understand why you want the old ones.

Charcoal, gas, whatever he prefers. If you've got an older one you can restore to pristine condition, that might also work.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Info on landing grills please...
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 04:19:42 PM »
Yep. Don’t show up empty handed. Start a conversation about the grill, how they ended up with it, get a feel if it’s sentimental to them or not. If it’s just an old barbecue they keep out back then offer a new one or cash. I’ve explained about the WKC and our love for restoring and respecting old kettles. Leave contact info if they change their mind later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

AnyThingGrilled

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 06:19:00 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 06:26:11 PM »
Searching your local c/l, letgo, or other sale sites. Looking into estate sales and in general being active here and getting to know the boys and vice versa.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 07:32:41 PM »
Searching your local c/l, letgo, or other sale sites. Looking into estate sales and in general being active here and getting to know the boys and vice versa.

This too! If you don’t have luck with the neighbors then Travis is spot on. Also update your profile so we know where you are located and add yourself to the map. If we know of something close to you some may send you a PM to go get it. Also you could post in the member trades section asking for what you are looking to buy. Someone may cut a deal and ship you a grill.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 07:56:27 PM »
Patients it will get frustrating but in due time a huge score will show up.

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 08:47:43 PM »
"He looked at me like what the hell is wrong with this guy and said that it’s his daily user after his gassers went out"

I wouldn't be knocking on his door again showing up with a "trade" or you might be staring down a barrel...

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 06:23:41 AM »

This is how I've always approached any hobby purchases (be it weber stuff, aquarium related stuff or just about anything I look to buy second hand).  At least you know they're looking to sell already!  But at the same time I wouldn't stop trying to approach someone if you see something "rare". But you have to expect they might just tell you go get the hell off their property and never come back!
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!