Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First time Roti used-  (Read 1112 times)

JordanW

• WKC Brave
    • Instagram - @bigtroublebbq
First time Roti used-
« on: June 08, 2017, 10:18:14 AM »
Finally last night got to try out the used Roti I picked up with a plum SSP awhile back. So..... my main issue is that the fit didn't seem right. I used 1 lit chimney with baskets on each side and drip pan in middle. The temp was above 350 the whole time. I even closed the top vent completely at one point when it was at 400. Seems to have a lot of play and let's air in, thus higher temps.... any thoughts on this? I am so so impressed and don't wanna give up on it. But it really didn't seem to work as well as I've read on here...

*Disclaimer I do not necessarily trust the Weber thermometer, so that could have been off too. I will run my Thermoworks next time to double check.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JordanW

• WKC Brave
Re: First time Roti used-
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 10:19:46 AM »

argulator

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 11:03:20 AM »
I've found that using some foil to seal up the gaps between the roti ring and bowl will let you keep the temps where you want them.  I keep the top vent open and adjust temp with the intake.  For chickens I'll start with 1/2 chimney lit on top of 1/2 or so in the bowls.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 11:18:52 AM »

Jordan, that is the older style rotisserie ring.  They all leak and have gaps around the bowl.  I have seen some people buy wood stove gaskets to fill the gaps around the edge. Foil would probably work too as argulator said.  The newer rotisserie ring"s design fits more snug (see below image). Even with the new design, there is still small air gaps.

The issue I have with the newer rotisserie ring is it can shift on you when loading heavy items like turkeys.  When loading a 25 lb bird, the ring slipped downwards on the side I had loaded the spit onto.  Almost dumped the bird into the bowl and lit coals. Had to pull the bird off, put on gloves and reset everything.  I have gone back to the old style like you have as the tab design can not shift or slip.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 11:35:52 AM »
Cellar2ful is right about the new ring. It wants to slip. I plan on drilling and putting a few ss bolts through the ring to prevent that.

I wouldn't worry about being air tight at all. They aren't designed to be. You control your temps by the amount of coal you use and I will also choke the bottom damper which will work also. That's a lot easier than tucking foil here and there. Also 350-400 is a good range for most things on the rotisserie. What were you cooking?  I bank coal on one side only. That's all that is needed.  I don't care what the temp is in the cooker. The most important thing is internal temp of the meat. I stop it at intervals and check internal with an instant read.

JordanW

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 11:43:21 AM »
@HoosierKettle totally agree with you 100%. Basic whole chicken last night and it turned out great! So really not complaining, just looking for insight if what I experienced was the "normal". I won't give up on it. I'll get my process down and fiddle with it as they say. Thanks everyone for the info-

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 09:21:28 PM »
I have the tab style roti ring and haven't been concerned about the gaps, I use a full chimney
of KBB split between the baskets. I let the birds spin about an hour and fifteen minutes before
I start checking temps with the Thermapen and pull it off when it hits 165 in between the thigh
and the body, just avoid hitting any bones when you are checking temps.
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..