Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SSP Frame Paint Recommendation Needed  (Read 847 times)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
SSP Frame Paint Recommendation Needed
« on: May 20, 2017, 07:32:34 PM »
I'm restoring an SSP.  The top frame is in really good shape.  There is some surface rust hear and there, but nothing under the black.  All welds and joints are very clean and sturdy.

At anyrate, what is a good paint for a one or two coat simple and foolproof application that might stop or slow this rust, without needing wire wheeling?  Ease of application and rust stop & prevent effectiveness are primary concerns.

Secondary is color and finish match the original (non-oxidized) frame.

Here are pics from a future restore.  The one I'm on now is not as bad as these.

At any rate, what would be a good paint for the pictured rust spots?  Maybe also to squirt inside the tubes.

Something to stop that, and presuming nothing under the black coating.  (What is the coating?)

Thanks in advance.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
Re: SSP Frame Paint Recommendation Needed
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 04:48:39 AM »
That is just light surface rust. I would wash and clean up the frame first. Little touch up might be all you need. Rest of the frame can be waxed or buffed to shine.   If you must paint.... I would do the whole frame for a perfect match. As for prep and painting process is same as any automotive painting process.  High heat or rust paint is your choice.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 05:41:02 AM »
Thanks. Any recommendations for a specific paint?  I'm overwhelmed by the selection of rattle cans.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 08:00:53 AM »
I just restored a Genesis 1000 and an SSP, and used rustoleum semi-gloss. Very pleased with the end result.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"