Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Propane issue on gen 2 performer  (Read 1698 times)

tb80

• WKC Ranger
Propane issue on gen 2 performer
« on: April 22, 2017, 06:25:57 PM »
I picked up a gen 2 performer recently. The gas starter is acting weird. It is flickering and not putting out a strong flow and goes out real easy. It is also putting out almost a turquoise flame. Any idea what the problem is?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
Re: Propane issue on gen 2 performer
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 06:51:24 PM »
If the tube is clear could be a bad regulator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BBQ to live live to BBQ

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 06:53:51 PM »
That's what I was worried about. How hard are those to fix? 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 06:58:33 PM »
Not to hard just call Weber and they should be able to give you a price on a replacement maybe if u get lucky they will warranty it and send u one free

BBQ to live live to BBQ

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 07:00:47 PM »
Thanks. Is the same regulator used on the current performers that is used on the gen 2 performer?

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 07:04:52 PM »
First clean out the Venturi really well. Then use an air hose and blow out the ash and debris in the burner tube. If it's still a weak flame then it's probably the regulator. I think gen 2 is the same as the new ones. Easy to replace. Or just ditch the gas assist and use lighter cubes.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 07:09:24 PM »
First change out the 1lb tank and see if anything changes. It could be simple as low gas in the tank. If not, take out the burner assy. or just pull the snap ring and take the hose out and look thru. the burner assy.  It could be partially clogged up. If not try resetting the regulator. All you need to do is reconnect the tank and open/turn the knob slowly. This explains what could happen for a low flow by regulator tripping.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaoI4frvhSQ

On my SSP burner assy was plugged solid when I got it. I had to use a long screwdriver to take out solid white residue inside. Just be careful not to damage the igniter inside.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 07:11:39 PM by greenweb »

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 03:52:15 AM »
Out of the 10 or 12 Performers that I've owned about half of them didn't light when I first got them.  Out of those all but one was fixed with a coat hanger reaming of the venturi tube(burner tube).
At my local Weber Dealer yesterday I picked up a venturi brush for short money.
This ought to make the job super easy.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 04:02:24 AM »

Out of the 10 or 12 Performers that I've owned about half of them didn't light when I first got them.  Out of those all but one was fixed with a coat hanger reaming of the venturi tube(burner tube).
At my local Weber Dealer yesterday I picked up a venturi brush for short money.
This ought to make the job super easy.

The burner tube is clear. I cleaned it out with a pipe cleaner and inspected it. Also, a lot of times their is a fire where the burner tube attaches to the gas hose with the c clip. It's like there isn't enough pressure to get it to the bowl.

I also have switched out the tanks with a new tank.

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 05:04:35 AM »
If you're satisfied the gas delivery system is clear, have tried a full gas tank, and have reset the reg. a couple of times with no success, you need a new reg.

hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 07:52:06 AM »
I think this is the part you need correct me if I'm wrong guys

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00L4IPI7W/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1492962550&sr=8-14&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=weber+performer

BBQ to live live to BBQ

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 11:06:36 AM »
Before I spent that I'd use lighter cubes

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 11:49:19 AM »
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need