Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: OT damper position - temp relationship  (Read 782 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
OT damper position - temp relationship
« on: March 31, 2017, 04:28:18 AM »
Some time last week I was doing cooking hot and indirect. About 3/4 chimney of kbb. It was running in the 400 range and I closed the bottom and left top open. 10 minutes later it was 300 and still dropping. That's not surprising as I use the bottom damper to control heat all the time. My question is will bottom closed top open slowly but surely put the fire out or does it stabilize at some point?  Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: OT damper position - temp relationship
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 05:09:17 AM »
Not that I've done it but I'd think it would eventually snuff out the coals but take longer. One caveat is wind direction. If any wind can blow into the top vent it would keep burning. My own speculation here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 11:02:23 AM »
With the bottom damper closed there would not be much air circulation. So even if it stabilized I would think you would want to circulate "stale" air out and keep "clean" smoke rolling through it.
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 05:38:58 PM »
Completely closing the bottom vents pretty much starves the fire of oxygen...Just a matter of time till the coals go out...

But you know that already  8)