Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Learning Experiance  (Read 1044 times)

Bob R

• Smokey Joe
Learning Experiance
« on: March 12, 2017, 07:42:26 AM »
I had a big event to cook for, and my brother who normally cooks with me had to work that Saturday at the local hardware store. I was planning to cook for 40. When i got to the event and the event registration was over we had 75 instead of the anticipated 40. This was the start of my problems that day. Off to town for another 40 leg quarters. This threw me late processing the chicken.

I wash and trim the chicken, then put 20 pieces in each 5 gallon bucket to brine.
After brining I drain the chicken, oil it in another bowl, then drain the oil, and season with Lemon Pepper seasoning before going back in another 5 gallon bucket to take to the grill.

I started 4 Weber Chimneys of charcoal, and banked up approximately 3 more chimneys of fresh charcoal on the back of the grate. I about forgot to mention I was not cooking on my 22 or 26 inch Webers. I was cooking on a 4 tray Rotisserie charcoal burner. It will cook 40 leg quarters at a time. This was my second problem of the day. I had stored my charcoal in a stack in the barn. I think it may have drawn some moisture. It took a very long time to get ready to use.

Problem Number Three: I placed the 4 chimneys of charcoal on the grate, Opened up the stacks and front vents, and waited and waited for the temperature to start spooling up. I decided to open up the back air vents to speed things up. With the wind blowing hard the temperature went down, not up. That was a big surprise, I would have thought it flaring up would have been the problem, not cooing down.

I finally got it stabilized at 325 and got to cooking the first batch. Like clockwork 70 minutes later batch one came off. The second batch was the problem. I ended up about 30 minutes late getting it off.  Thankfully I cook for this bunch frequently, and they cut me some slack with my problems cooking in the cold windy conditions.

I learned several things: My brother is way more help than I ever realized.  Plan on getting done early, like about an hour early on a multi cook event might be a good goal. I can always hold it warm on the 36 x 60 gas grill. We built a portable 4' X 8' Wash Station last year. It has a SS sink on one end, and about 4' x 6' of counter space to work on, or dry on. We have the faucet  and a sprayer hose fed with RV hose from a yard hydrant. We heat water on 2 gas fish fryer burners. I will get it in operation for the next big event. It is way handy when washing lots of 5 gallon buckets, Roaster pans, and large SS Bowels. I will get my charcoal in the house to make sure it is good and dry before the next cook.

Our next big event will be a 2 day IBS 600 yard Bench Rest Match the first of next month. I will guarantee I will not have the same problems at that event.

Bob

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Learning Experiance
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 03:35:35 PM »
All things considered it doesn't sound too bad. Folks had a good meal that took just a bit longer than normal. Sounds like you handled it well, good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Bob R

• Smokey Joe
Re: Learning Experiance
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 10:16:26 PM »
I got in another cook before the two day event.

A picture of the Grill

A tray of Leg Quarters

This cook went like clock work. I only cooked 40 leg quarters for a Tactical Rifle Match. We also served Green Beans, Macaroni and Tomatoes, and Cake.
I did a clean up on the outdoor wash station and got it up and running.

This Saturdays Bench Rest Match will be another surprise like my original post discribed. They are guessing 40 - 50 shooters, but it could be 100 on a big Points Match.  We also have a Defensive Pistol Match going at the same time. We decided to do 40 Leg Quarters, and Barts for this weekend. We may have to regroup and get more Brats depending on the turnout. We are planning on doing the Brats on the 22.5 and 26 Inch Webers. I am also on the Target Crew so my brother will be doing a lot of the work this time.

Another chicken picture. I had started taking the chicken off the grill before I remembered to take pictures.
I will try and get more pictures this weekend.

Bob