Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Blue MBH - What is it worth?  (Read 1298 times)

tb80

• WKC Ranger
Blue MBH - What is it worth?
« on: March 02, 2017, 10:30:59 AM »
I may have the opportunity to buy a blue MBH from an acquaintance.  I haven't gotten an opportunity to do a thorough inspection, but looks to be in average condition for its age with some rust spots.  I didn't see a date code on the top vent.

What is a fair price to pay for one of these?  I don't want to get ripped off, and I don't want to rip off the seller as well.
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Blue MBH - What is it worth?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 11:54:01 AM »
Price and value have came up a lot lately and the real answer is whatever you or anyone else is willing to pay. I always think about what I'd ask for the same kettle if I were the seller. In the end have a budget and stay in it. If you search the forums you see crazy stuff on both ends of the spectrum. There really isn't any Kettle Blue Book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 12:18:13 PM »

Blue MBH's are few and far between as they were only made for 2 or 3 years.  I believe the blue color started in 1979 and then the switch to wood bowl handles occurred in 1981.   Value of a kettle is determined by how rare they are and how bad you want one.  Right off the top, you will be saving shipping costs buying it from a local acquaintance. I paid $40 for the one I rescued+ $70 for shipping it from Wisconsin to California. Comes down to what you are comfortable spending. Just keep in mind you may not see another opportunity to buy one.  I would start with asking the acquaintance what he is expecting to get for it.

Here is the story on my 18" blue MBH: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/baby-blue-b-code-18'-blue-mbh/msg250545/#msg250545
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 12:41:53 PM »
Yup. Hard to put a value on an old kettle. Get a dollar number from the seller, set your price range, and if the seller is within that... yer gold.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 12:44:47 PM »
A 22? Depending on a few variables.........anywhere between 75 and 300. A new one with the bucket is 150 or so where you are? Offer him that so both of you can feel good. If it were mint then all bets are off.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

buckeyesmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 01:08:32 PM »
A 22? Depending on a few variables.........anywhere between 75 and 300. A new one with the bucket is 150 or so where you are? Offer him that so both of you can feel good. If it were mint then all bets are off.
My thoughts also.  But I WANT a Blue MBH.  Soooo I'm probably willing to pay little more than others here.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Search of Blue or Green MBH

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 01:28:44 PM »
And that was the point of my post. Buckeyesmoker might have more skin in the game and can spend more than I can for a grill if he can, awesome, he scores. If you want something bad enough you pay the price to get it. Sure there are some kettles more rare than others and this alone will drive up the price but know your top number and stick to it.  Also take the approach that the worst that can happen is they decline your offer. You don't have the kettle today so you aren't out anything making an offer. Good luck on the acquisition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 01:48:37 PM »
Thanks guys.  I'll post up if I am able to acquire the kettle.
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 02:09:18 PM »
Good luck! I hope you get it.

Craig

• WKC Mod
Blue MBH - What is it worth?
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 05:27:49 PM »
Good luck! Hope you are able to get it. The blue MBHs are amazing. Mine (a '78 and a 1979 along with my 1981 3wood 22) are my favorite blues. They are more of a classic "Ford Motor Company/Ford tractor" blue compared to the later blues that tend to have more of a periwinkle tone to them. Though I like those blues as well. But MBH blue is a favorite.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 05:29:46 PM by Craig »