Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Dumb question.....  (Read 2732 times)

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
Dumb question.....
« on: February 13, 2017, 08:09:22 PM »
I have a few grills now and have never taken any of the ash sweep assembly's apart.  I want to pull the sweeps off of the grill I bought this past weekend.  It's the newer style without the set screw.  I twisted and pulled on the arm and it won't budge.  I know it's gotta be simple but I am obviously missing something.  What am I missing?  Thanks in advance. 

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Dumb question.....
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 08:16:59 PM »
Well..if it's not too gunked up you can reach in the bowl and press really hard on the middle of the sweeps while pulling and twisting the handle. I believe you can also pry down carefully with a screw driver between the h-clip and handle. Don't pry on the porcelain
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 08:27:36 PM »
Here is a YouTube video showing how to get the handle loose with a screw driver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4SSX6GiMGM
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 08:28:58 PM »

Or, there is this pic …. Man, I posted this pic years ago.  It needs to be a sticky.  ??? ;D ;)

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 08:46:42 PM »
Thanks for the info,  looks easy enough.  One last question,  do I need to note the position of each blade since I will be reusing them or are they all the same? 

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 09:00:39 PM »
Thanks for the info,  looks easy enough.  One last question,  do I need to note the position of each blade since I will be reusing them or are they all the same?

They are numbered … 1, 2, 3.  You will see the numbers once they are clean.
You should be able to determine the order by looking at the base area where they all connect.
It is specific.  One of them lays flat (1 or 3, can't remember), then 2 in the middle.  You'll get it figured out.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Dumb question.....
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 03:06:51 AM »
I struggled with this same issue at first.  Have I mentioned before I'm an idiot for never reading instructions?! 

This pic may help:

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 03:13:08 AM by Mr.CPHo »

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 06:55:03 AM »
I just tried to get it apart.  Its not gunked up at all, the arm wiggles around and moved in and out a little and I still cant get it.  I tried to push a screwdriver under it as the video shows but it wont slide under the arm.  I also tried to put a screwdriver in the handle of the arm and twist it that way and it would not turn around.  This should not be this difficult.  Any other suggestions?

Cellar2ful

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 07:19:39 AM »

Some of them are really stubborn.  You have to keep attempting to rotate the handle while forcing the screwdriver between the handle and the washer. There is a little tab on the handle that has to pop out of a slot on the washer. You won't be able to bend the handle but the screwdriver pushes the washer downward enough for the tab to pop out.  I had one a week ago that fought me for about 10 minutes till it gave in and popped out. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 07:21:29 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 08:30:58 AM »
Thanks, I will go mess with it again and hopefully get it to pop.  What a pain in the a**.

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 12:25:21 PM »
Get the screwdriver wedged in there (between the handle and washer) really good and twist the screwdriver, while twisting the handle. 

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 12:41:48 PM »
Get the screwdriver wedged in there (between the handle and washer) really good and twist the screwdriver, while twisting the handle.

Tried that.  All of the parts are clean but I still cant get it to pop.  I am just going to leave it.  I was able to clean it up well enough without taking it apart.  I dont want to screw it up and have to replace it by breaking it.  I am going to leave well enough alone.

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 03:36:48 PM »

Tried that.  All of the parts are clean but I still cant get it to pop.  I am just going to leave it.  I was able to clean it up well enough without taking it apart.  I dont want to screw it up and have to replace it by breaking it.  I am going to leave well enough alone.

I feel your pain man! I have given up before too, only to come back a day later and have it cooperate right away.  :o

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 04:07:17 PM »
Are you turning the ash sweep handle the correct way? You need to turn it so the locking tab is going towards your screwdriver? If so, it should be pretty easy.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 07:40:23 PM »
Are you turning the ash sweep handle the correct way? You need to turn it so the locking tab is going towards your screwdriver? If so, it should be pretty easy.

Yes, I tried both ways, neither would cooperate.  I am very capable of taking things apart but this damn thing has me stumped.  Not that big of a deal, I wanted it cleaned perfectly but its clean enough and it works fine so I am going to leave it alone.