Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A change of plans  (Read 992 times)

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
A change of plans
« on: September 04, 2016, 03:10:58 PM »
I'd been craving hamburgers again but when I got to the store after work, it was picked over.  Severely picked over.  In the last hour before closing for Labour Day, they had no ground beef left which put a stop to the hamburger idea. One sad looking package of chicken breasts, two packages of chicken legs that actually looked ok, and a lot of beef side ribs that were marked down by about $6 per package to clear them out. Guess what I bought even though it means late night barbecue?

Seasoned with coarse salt, freshly ground pepper, and garlic as if I was preparing a steak or a roast.

Into the WSM. I'm planning to spray these down with beef stock to keep them moist. Previously I've used pork rib rubs and sauces with ok but not great results so this is a bit of an experiment. Hopefully it turns out well. I'll keep you guys posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
Re: A change of plans
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 05:02:17 PM »
Two hours and ten minutes in:

After spraying with beef stock:

I think they look promising but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed this late night supper turns out well.

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 08:05:45 AM »
I pulled the beef ribs out of the WSM shortly before midnight after they'd been in for about five hours and let them rest before cutting them up:

I think I got much closer to what I want them to be this time. They might have needed a little bit more time in the smoker, not too much more, and I could have gone a lot heavier with the salt and pepper and garlic, and started spraying them a touch later to let the bark get a touch more formed.  This is the end result:

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 08:50:58 AM »
Those look delicious!  Nice job.  Never seen beef side ribs before. 
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 11:17:47 AM »
Looks great!  I did pork ribs this weekend but since I happened upon a 50% off package of two beef ribs I threw them on as well.  They are so good!!!!!  Used the same seasons as you did.  That is all beef ribs need....salt, pepper, garlic, and I added onion powder.  This is also my standard steak seasoning!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!