Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Outdoor fire ban that prohibits using charcoal barbecues  (Read 2124 times)

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
Outdoor fire ban that prohibits using charcoal barbecues
« on: July 17, 2016, 07:23:43 AM »
I came across this article yesterday:

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6768503-why-no-fire-ban-in-hamilton-/

Fortunately since I live in Hamilton, I'm not affected but in Burlington, which is the next town over, they've got an out door burn ban in effect that's been extended to ban the use of charcoal barbecues.  I've never heard of outdoor fire bans being taken that far. Grills and smokers etc. have always been excepted.  Granted, there has been a drought and hardly any rain this summer so everything's dried out and there is an increased fire risk, but I think it's heavy handed and doesn't reflect the fact that most people use their barbecues on patios or decks or driveways etc.

I moved my kettle back onto the driveway by the back door from the middle of the back yard several weeks ago because I didn't want to take any chances with the way the lawn's dried out (a nice patio is in the long term plans but my back yard is all grass for now).

What would you do if this situation comes up?

It's given me food for thought since if it happened in the next municipality, it could happen here too and that kettle grill is my main method of cooking during the summer since running the stove and the air conditioning at the same time's obnoxious.  I don't have a gas barbecue so losing the use of the kettle and the WSM would be serious for me.  I would probably quietly disobey the order and claim ignorance if anybody shows up the same way the neighbours use fire pits and chimineas all the time (count myself in that category once I have a patio to out one on) that are permanently banned by bylaw here.

GregS

• WKC Performer
Re: Outdoor fire ban that prohibits using charcoal barbecues
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 07:36:41 AM »
if the ban was temporary, i'd deal with it.

if the ban was made permanent, i'd move. 

I only use kettles with lid bales.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 10:18:33 AM »
We are going through that here in california now, but only at campgrounds... NO wood or charcoal fires but propane or white gas is fine. No sense in going camping if you cant have a fire, but I do have a propane camp chef 2 burner stove and a propane fire pit. But yea, the fire ban would suck. find yourself a back up gasser.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 10:46:31 AM »

In the Bay Area here in California, we have the California Air Resources Board. They decide when to issue "Spare the Air" alerts due to levels of particulates and pollution in the air.  Right now when they declare a "Spare the Air" day, there is no burning of wood fireplaces, pellet stoves or any outdoor fires. It is a $400 citation for a second offense. They actually have guys that drive around documenting complaints.  Currently, it does not apply to charcoal BBQ's but I predict that within 5 years they will be included.  I self police right now, electing to use my gas Q whenever a "Spare the Air" alert is issued.  I got tired of not being able to use my wood burning stove during winter because of the numerous alerts.  Had it taken out and replaced with a new gas insert.  It actually heats the house better, is on a thermostat and is cheaper than buying a cord of wood. Get use to it if you live in a populated area.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 11:06:52 AM »
  I've seen the use of charcoal banned on public lands when the fire danger is extreme . Lands like the National Forest,BLM and state held land typically all do the same thing when it's dry and potentially explosive , but I've never heard of it in a town before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 11:10:15 AM »
I remember years (and years) ago Los Angeles had a ban on charcoal bbqs because of "pollution"... I dont think its still in effect anymore.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 02:01:38 PM »
It's common here in the West.
When the fire danger is high, it's propane or white gas stoves only.

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 09:27:11 AM »
George Foreman?

Seriously, it seems to me one would either have to be a lousy neighbour or have lousy neighbours for anyone to report you for just trying to feed your family.  Stay with your cooker, keep an extinguisher handy and when you see a neighbour in the yard offer them a sample.  My guess is that in the unlikely worst case scenario where the man actually knocks on your door you could easily plead ignorance and receive no more than a stern warning.
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 09:43:37 AM »
We have no burn days quite a bit here in Phoenix due to smog.  I've never followed it though and I share food with the neighbors often enough for them to not rat on me!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Red Blaze

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 12:14:52 PM »
I live in western Nevada. On days of low humidity(like 9%) and 25-40mph I use Natural Clean Burning Propane.  I would hate to get something going because with these conditions you cannot fight it.  Just get out of the way and save life and limb.  Property will be gone.  We have seen it.  So for the few times we get those conditions I have alternatives!
Burnin' Charcoal and Black Powder

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 11:01:52 PM »
It really sucks being a "law-abiding citizen" doesn't it [emoji53]. 

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 11:35:32 AM »
Be mindful that there are some very thoughtless people out there who are careless at best and downright dangerously stupid at worst. Sucks you can't use your kettles but at least you won't have to evacuate because someone lit the neighborhood on fire.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 11:24:05 AM »
Well, as of yesterday, Hamilton has a fire ban in place. No rain expected at least for the next week and hot.