Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Transporting a Ranch Kettle...  (Read 1792 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Transporting a Ranch Kettle...
« on: April 11, 2016, 07:18:45 AM »
A semi-hypothetical question :)

Before I possibly embark on a rather long drive.

My Hyundai Tucson has a rear hatch that has a diagonal clearance of 50 inches.  That should be enough to insert a disassembled RK with one bowl fitting into the other right? 

Also, what tools would I need to disassemble the rest of a RK?  A socket set and cordless screwdriver with attachments should do it right? 

Finally, how much do the other components break down? 

Any info would be appreciated! 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
Re: Transporting a Ranch Kettle...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 08:12:36 AM »
You can break down the entire RK into the bowl, lid, 2 frame legs, the ash pan, handle, and grates. It should fit just fine. I fit one disassembled into my 2013 Ford Explorer and had plenty of room with it broken down. Only tools needed are screwdriver, socket set and matching wrenches.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 09:09:05 AM »
Some plyers/channel locks, vise grips, and spray lube could come in handy for the worst case scenario.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 10:08:21 AM »
My RK is still over at my brother's house, so I can't check myself, but measure the width between the rear wheels.   I have a mini van and can move it without breaking it all the way down.   I take off the top then remove the cooking and charcoal grates to reduce weight.   With that done, I can lift the cart/frame and lower bowl and get it into the back of the van.  Once all 4 wheels are in the van, I put the grates back in and then slide the RK a little further in.  This gives me room to angle the lid in and set it on top.

If you find that you do have to break it down, the bowl attaches to the frame with 2 bolts through each leg, for a total of 8 bolts.  You would also need to remove the lid bale from the lower bowl.  The bale is connected to the support arm, which itself is attached to the rear axle, but you should be able to just lay the bale and support arm down once removed from the bowl.  If you find that you have to break the cart down, it's one more bolt and you'd also need to remove the 2 cap nuts to take the axle out.   It's kind of a pain to do that without destroying them.  But, you can replace them for $3 or less, so not a big deal if you know in advance and already have new caps available.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 10:14:32 AM by demosthenes9 »

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 11:20:37 AM »
Thanks all.  I'm still in limbo at the moment.  All the info is great. 

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 11:37:28 PM »
@crowderjd   your Tucson is almost identical to my Escape.  All I had to do was take the wheels off and drive from PHX to Orange County.  Here's a pic.

1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 06:51:14 AM »
@fedex thank you!  That is great to know.