Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Chip and rust through repair  (Read 7499 times)

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
Chip and rust through repair
« on: February 27, 2013, 08:02:28 PM »
My two red heads both have some serious chips and rust through, and I would like to repair them properly. I've look at JB Weld to use a filler, but it's highest temp rating is about 500F, kettles can get much higher than that. So I found the following, and it's rated to 1000F; more than enough to withstand the temps the kettle can get to. Anyone have any experience with this...http://www.alvinproducts.com/Products/Products.asp?ID=2#Application
If placed on smoothly, sanded, and then painted with as close a match as possible, this should help greatly in a restoration project I would think.

Here's what I would use it on...

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
Re: Chip and rust through repair
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 08:08:17 PM »
Yikes!  You are a brave soul to take on such a mission.  But seeing that pretty redhead, it's worth the effort. 

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 08:13:38 PM »
I'm a little worried about the handle. That will ultimately rest on a cross member and support one side of the kettle. That epoxy looks good for the cosmetic repairs, I'm not so sure about the load bearing ones.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 01:04:36 AM »

Yes, I've researched Alvin stuff, up to & including finding it at a welding supply place right around the corner............
then, in talking to my brother who's been in the automotive industry for many years, I hear this:

" The guys that know bodywork & heat area repair that I work with hate the stuff"

Why, I ask, 'cause I'm on a quest to fix some things like you've got there & do some other, more creative, special, almost sculptural type stuff...............

The stuff applies OK, but then, anything that's not of the same metallurgical ilk as the original material it's applied to will EXPAND & CONTRACT at a different rate than the original material.....

Over time ( no idea how long or what intensity of conditions that might mean? ) the stuff will flex  differently enough to at least undermine the paint & later then crack apart itself......

Now, all this bullshit I'm spoutin' may not mean a whit, 'cause I stopped short  of actually buyin' the stuff & doin' the deed(s)

I could ask some more questions  on this end & see if there's any more expansive info than just that ^^^^
I'm pluggin' for a cure for these poor, chipped up kettles as much as the next person !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 03:56:40 AM »
Thanks Buckie!!! I appreciate the response. Yep, $36 for a 14oz can is pricey. I'd pay the price IF I knew it was going to do the job. Sounds like over time the chips and rust through will reappear due to the temperature changes.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 03:58:38 AM by Chad A »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 11:33:49 AM »
From my brother's description, the repair patch would eventually separate from the base (kettle) that it was adhered to, by way of flexing at a different rate over a period of time.............

It may not be as big a deal as it seems at 1st......I just got kind of a popped balloon effect when he told me & didn't proceed...... not to say that it couldn't work, or wouldn't work for an extended period of time......

I'm going to research furthur & see what I can come up with...... ;D

As far as rust, Por15 stops it dead & forever....also a pricey product.....

http://www.por15.com/Complete-Kits/products/11/

FIRE SEAL 2000    from these guys may be another way to go......
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 11:39:44 AM by 1buckie »

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 11:44:02 AM »
How about a washer and a rivet or nut & bolt? The heat rating is much higher than JB. ;)

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 01:08:01 PM »
How about a washer and a rivet or nut & bolt? The heat rating is much higher than JB. ;)

Do you mean with the handle? It an older metal handle so there wouldn't be any place to affix it via nut & bolt. The leg socket rust through I'm not as worried about since it won't be resting on legs.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 01:37:04 PM »
Just drill a small hole through where the handle connects a and put a washer on the other side larger than the hole is and put a small lock washer and nut on the end. Touch up the screw on the outside with a little red paint. It's a cooker anyways isn't it?

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 02:02:13 PM »
Just drill a small hole through where the handle connects a and put a washer on the other side larger than the hole is and put a small lock washer and nut on the end. Touch up the screw on the outside with a little red paint. It's a cooker anyways isn't it?

Is there any possibility that you could show us a picture of you, yourself, doing this, like looking over the edge of a kettle or something?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 02:07:14 PM by 1buckie »

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 02:17:02 PM »

Is there any possibility that you could show us a picture of you, yourself, doing this, like looking over the edge of a kettle or something?
I think your are back to six now. Six. :(