Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: H Code Brownie and Charcoal Bin  (Read 2413 times)

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
H Code Brownie and Charcoal Bin
« on: March 09, 2016, 09:39:16 AM »
First I got the grill and then went back for the bin [emoji106]

I knew about the Charcoal Caddies @Harris and @ Jeff have but I'd never seen this style bin before or did I know about them.

@mikerocksthered even commented on the CL ad , "hey there's a Weber charcoal bin"  but it didn't click  and I though Mike was making a wise crack about the plastic tub so I told the seller to chuck everything I only wanted the grill !

I use an overnight delivery service around here locally and they grabbed up the grill for me on Monday and it was here Tuesday morning , I snapped a few pictures and sent them to @604 to check out. He asked where it came from and then he asked if id gotten the bin with it ... What a sinking feeling

Shit , I knew at that point I'd completely missed something , my first though was to contact the seller and see if they'd already dumped everything , luckily for me they hadn't and I was able to have the bin picked the next day . This dummy dodged a bullet [emoji256]

The grill is in good shape , very little porcelain loss , the handles are salvageable but screws were added to the leg sockets . It's an H code 1986 , any ideas on the bin date ranges?

Should clean up nicely

The bin had motor oil or something inside and moss growing on the outside , it's also splattered in stain . Everything I get is always covered in stain !

Thanks for looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 09:41:23 AM by Idahawk »
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Jon

• WKC Ranger
Re: H Code Brownie and Charcoal Bin
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 09:53:02 AM »
The bin could be about the same vintage, although I don't know if Weber put any indicator like a letter code. I bought one soon after my Dad gave me an H-code red in 1986. I was never very fond of the bin, I found it cleaner overall just to keep charcoal in it own bag.

Nice catch on that brownie. I have the same one (H-code), but it has a different ash catcher. Which is the correct ash catcher?

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 11:39:19 AM »
@Idahawk -  Nice job getting the grill and the bin.  I think @Jon might be right about it not being too great for actually holding charcoal now that I think about it more, but its still a rare find and worht having.  I'd probably use it to hold grill tools and a bag of wood chunks or two, or maybe inside as a recycling bin!!!!  Either way, great score all around!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 12:52:08 PM »
I had the same bin sold it to Winz was never really impressed with it.  Nice Brownie BTW.

Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 04:20:02 PM »
That's a fine looking brownie there, and the bin is nice just to have as a collectors item.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 04:21:25 PM »
I'm really starting to like those brown-fade kettles.  Seems like each one is a little different from the next.  As for the ash catcher, I have a black '84 that came with a twist-on but my next kettle is the '92 SSP  ...  so ash pan.   I don't know the actual history of the ash catchers, but Weber probably shipped old stock until it was gone.                             SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

SixZeroFour

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 04:31:34 PM »
Nice haul! Try some CLR on the bin - that looks like iron or fertilizer stain... Or a coat of semi-gloss black paint would also give it new life ;)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 10:20:43 AM »
Nice find, that bin looks cool as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 11:42:33 AM »
Nice pickups. Also nice is how that Green Happy Cooker makes it into so many of your shots. I do have eyes for that cooker......have since it popped up on online finds way back when. Consider yourself fortunate that I wasn't anywhere close. So glad than one of us got it.....one of us that is active.........so I can see it every now and again.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"