Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: DIY second grate  (Read 5925 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: DIY second grate
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 02:06:28 PM »
Mike, I've never used a stacker grate in my kettle. How evenly did your ribs cook?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't notice any difference and I didn't rotate the racks at all.  2 hours smoked, 2 hours cooked wrapped in foil, then sauced over high heat.  Have never had bad ribs that way.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 02:11:35 PM »
@kettlecook -  As you can see in the pics of my thermometer in this post, I was getting the same temps at the cooking grate and on a probe I stuck through the top vent.  I think I monitored that for a good portion of the cook since I never put a probe in my ribs.  I think even a difference of 5-10 degrees wouldn't have made a big difference.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 02:26:16 PM »

@kettlecook -  As you can see in the pics of my thermometer in this post, I was getting the same temps at the cooking grate and on a probe I stuck through the top vent.  I think I monitored that for a good portion of the cook since I never put a probe in my ribs.  I think even a difference of 5-10 degrees wouldn't have made a big difference.

I figured they came out good from your temps, and am not surprised at all.  I've used a stacker grate in the top of my big WSM before, and an extra middle grate. Works great as long as the pan is in place. I'm gonna have to start using a stacker in my big kettle, though, for sure. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 03:08:34 PM »
Mike,
A welder could tack a washer to the bottom of those wingnuts no problem.
Most shops can weld stainless. That would make your idea perfect IMO

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 04:52:33 AM »
Love the explanations and pics.  Thanks for taking the time to post.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2016, 05:53:06 AM »
Mike,
A welder could tack a washer to the bottom of those wingnuts no problem.
Most shops can weld stainless. That would make your idea perfect IMO

I really haven't had issues with making sure the wingnuts are perpendicular to the grate bars, but that is a great idea.  If I start having issues with my legs slipping through the grates I'll definintely do this.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2016, 08:00:33 AM »
I like my second grate, both for the 22" and 18" kettle.  Makes a great bun warmer.
No need for SS as the steel gets coated in smoke and such.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2016, 12:47:30 PM »
I have a similar setup for my 26er, using a rack from 22.5 WSM.  I've got double washers and a bolt at the top and one washer and two bolts at the bottom.  I considered welding the bottom in place but decided that there might be a time when I wanted to change the height.

Here it is on a recent recent rib cook:

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna