Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: History Behind Size of Weber Grills  (Read 1989 times)

tb80

• WKC Ranger
History Behind Size of Weber Grills
« on: February 04, 2016, 03:25:23 PM »
Any clue how Weber decided on the size of the grills? Why 22" instead of 21"?  Why 18" instead of 17"?  Is there science to it?  Or just a random decision?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
Re: History Behind Size of Weber Grills
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 03:39:52 PM »
Good question. ...I've never really thought about it, but now I'm curious.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 03:42:17 PM »
i think the common belief has to do with the original supplies used - the buoys from lake Michigan.
the grills were made in the same location, using the same tools and supplies as the ones being used to make buoys.

There's probably more to it than that. Like the logistics of how a sheet of steel comes in 4x8 and mapping out how many circles can be cut from a sheet to minimize waste, yada yada.
Lots of unknowns down that rabbit hole.

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 04:43:29 PM »
I emailed Weber and asked. I love how quickly they responded despite the fact they didn't give me an answer. Here is what they said:

"Hello,

Thank you for your email.

There are several different factors that go into the design decisions.  Unfortunately, we do not have any specific reasoning to give out as to why the specific sizes were selected"

I am sure there are some "trade secrets" relating to the size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 12:48:46 PM »
Sounds like the good folks at Weber haven't got a clue  as what they're doing or why.  They basically said, we had a our reasons, but even we don't know what they were.

I'm doubting that they made a bunch of different sized prototypes (16", 17", 18.5", 20", 21",, 22.5", 24". etc.) and then l;oaded them up which charcoal and cooked a bunch of steaks on them.

I like Troy's idea. 

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 09:24:22 PM »
Seems my friend Troy and I think alike, and Weber Staff's answer is just what one would expect from folks who refuse to sell the Ivory MT in the States.

I guess ignorant folks need jobs too 8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 10:55:00 PM »
Someone ask these guys: www.weberbros-white.com

The availability of certain stamping machine sizes after the war and nautical shipping requirements may also have an effect on size. I'm trying to find images or standards of the original bouy.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791