Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: home made kettle cover?  (Read 3180 times)

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
home made kettle cover?
« on: December 15, 2015, 05:07:29 PM »
Who has made their own kettle cover? I'm sick of my 2 year old and younger "premium" weber covers getting brittle, cracking, and tearing. I treat them with care. They get exposed to midwest elements… heat and sun in the summer, wind and rain in the spring and fall, and cold temps and snow in the winter.

I'm thinking of having my sister, who is an excellent seamstress, make some new ones for my kettles and SS performer. The question is… what material to use, that will stand up to the conditions mentioned above…

Ideas?  Go!
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
Re: home made kettle cover?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 05:26:41 PM »
Whatever jeeps use for their soft tops would be a great material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 05:38:05 PM »
Whatever jeeps use for their soft tops would be a great material.

Sounds good! Anyone who can make them let me know... I'll take 22 depending on cost :)
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 05:45:28 PM »
Also maybe what they use for boat roofs or covers.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/bimini-top-fabric

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 05:47:30 PM »
Good thought @iCARRY.  That's the first thing that came to my mind as well.

Another option is called Sunbrella which is commonly used in patio furniture.

Check out West Marine, they seem to sell both: http://www.westmarine.com/polyester-fabric
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 07:42:39 PM »
I've been using painters drop clothes that a treat with scotch guard. There not as pretty as the Weber covers but going on 2 years and they still look good.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 08:21:29 PM »
Make one out of Kevlar. You could shoot bullets at your Weber and they'd still be protected.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

einrej

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 03:51:00 AM »
I had some Amish guys make me a new pontoon cover and they used this.     Top Gun is an 11 ounce acrylic-coated woven polyester that is highly water repellent, exceptionally strong, tear resistant, dimensionally stable and abrasion resistant. Top Gun will not harden, crack or peel through seasons of rain, wind and snow. A full array of colors is available to match any boat color scheme. This is our best seller but that doesn't mean it is your only option. Now available in 78" width!

Top Gun is guaranteed for a five year period against loss of color or strength under normal exposure conditions.

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Textiles/Marine_and_Boat_Cover/Top_Gun/index.html
Family, 1954-55 Weber Bros Metal Works Kettle,
1979 A-code Redhead 22, 1983 E-code Black 22, & a Rowley Miracle Fire Maker

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 04:54:51 AM »
Inverted velvet lined galvanized trash can plasti-dipped black with Weber sticker?  That should work for an 18".

I'm in the same boat Bob.  I need new 22 and performer covers.  I'm waiting to harvest a few when HD or Lowes starts after xmas clearance.

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 09:28:34 AM »
I used vapour barrier for houses , cut a circle to fit protruding handles ,heat weld with a flat soldering iron ,works great so far and as an added bonus I can still see my beautiful kettle while covered !