Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoke wood chips...  (Read 1474 times)

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
Smoke wood chips...
« on: September 07, 2015, 05:53:07 PM »
I just came across an online deal for a bag of Alder wood smoking chips. I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried smoking with Alder? If so, what sort of smoke does it put off? ie.. heavy or light? What sort of flavor does it impart? Also, what sort of food is it best suited for?

I was under the impression that Alder wouldn't be a good smoking wood because it doesn't produce a lot of smoke? That is why it is known as an excellent wood for heating. It produces minimal smoke and burns really hot.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Smoke wood chips...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 06:26:17 PM »
They say alder goes well with fish, I also think ity is good with poultry as well
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

brettbrown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 08:41:13 AM »
I've used alder on a turkey when Apple wood wasn't available. I didnt really notice a difference in smoke, but wasn't really paying attention. Flavor was good.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 10:22:45 AM »
  I buy red alder smoke chips for a company near Seattle , I use them for steelhead and salmon smokes , very mild smoke but tasty .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 05:11:02 PM »
I use Alder from a tree in my yard.  It's good, especially on salmon.  I tend to prefer fruit woods for pork and hickory or oak for beef. 

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 06:23:37 PM »
Pretty much a fish wood, but man does it work well with fish (especially salmon).

More importantly...where's this "deal"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 07:06:36 PM »
I always smoke salmon with Alder, its supposed to be a more mild smoke.  I have never tried anything else with salmon so can't really compare it though.