Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Custom cart questions  (Read 2332 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Custom cart questions
« on: July 10, 2015, 04:50:19 PM »
I'm going to build a custom wooden cart for my 22". I see three potential options:
  • performer type cart with kettle on one side and table on the other
  • imperial sequoia type with kettle in the center
  • cheap out and make something more like the Weber side table that clips into the side; this is my least favorite option

I am going for extreme practicality as my top priority. Here are a couple questions that I have:
  • should I ieep the legs on to stand it in the cart or suspend it? Is there any advantage or disadvantage to either?
  • where do you put the lid on a sequoia cart? Does it hang from the side of the cart, sit on top, etc., - this style is less appealing than the performer style if I can't come up with something really convenient for the lid
  • I'm not opposed to drilling into the kettle to put on a MasterTouch or Performer lid bail but if I can avoid that all the better. The kettle is a recent OTG, not a grail, so a few holes are fine if it's the best option

For height, I'll probably use the 2015 performer as my gauge. I'd like to have a paper towel holder, and possibly a few drawers to hold some foil or utensils. As I get further along and have a better idea of budget I may look for a piece of scrap granite or something as I would also like the top to safe to set down chimneys, hot cast iron, etc.

Oh and I might put my 18" OTG on the other side or plan for there to be enough scrap wood to make at least a side table for it.

Does anyone have any other important things to think about that I may be overlooking?

Thanks in advance fellas!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 04:51:58 PM by austin87 »

brettbrown

• WKC Brave
Re: Custom cart questions
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 04:59:12 PM »
Use a wood that will hold up well outside, like redwood. Only draw back is that it's soft. Definitely put wheels on it so it's mobile and think about what you are going to use as a cover. If you keep it close to a performer size you could use that cover. A fold up side table like the ones on a genesis might be a cool idea too. If it were me, I'd suspend the kettle, keeping the legs will take up storage space underneath.

brettbrown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 04:59:47 PM »
And good luck. Looking forward to seeing some progress pics

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 08:21:37 PM »
I've got one of these carts for my kamado. I like the drawers and folding shelf. Very simple and functional.

http://www.jsdesignsshop.com/Home

CoachJB54

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 04:51:25 AM »
Great thread Austin87!  I am looking to build a table for my 22. I am interested in any input as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DTrainMike

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 03:27:10 PM »

My legs fell apart and I made a stand. I riveted another handle on the other side of the bowl. It's suspended and seems to work fine I used southern yellow pine. Healthy coats of clear outdoor finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 09:21:39 AM »
I like that frame, it looks good. I'd like a little more of a table but that should be easy to tack on.

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 05:26:14 PM »
You can always Frankenstein a pre existing cart. Here's my WSM table/cart (18.5, so would need a bigger space or some tweaks). Whole thing cost around $10 and has a charcoal lighter, towel rack, work space, and a lot of what you're looking for (except pretty-it ain't pretty like a Sequoia)

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?26480-Behold!-The-smoker-cart-of-awesomness!!!!!

Apologies for the ' other site ' link