Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Drip Beans Questions  (Read 2317 times)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
Drip Beans Questions
« on: July 01, 2015, 10:53:03 PM »
I'm making drip beans this weekend for the first time.  I am going to make them in my 18" WSM under two 3 - 4 LB pork butts.  I think I will shoot for around 260 grate temp at the pork.

Do I leave the beans in for the whole time cook?

Do I use water in the drip pan?

If I crutch, should I remove beans at that point?

What do I add beyond cans of baked beans?  Onions?  Anything else?  Should I thin them with water to account for hours of evaporation?

Any other tips or suggestions?

Thanks, Pete

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Drip Beans Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 11:54:32 PM »
This seems to be one of the definitive recipes out there:
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47454&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=pork+butt+101&start=37

It answers most of my ?s.

I think I'll do it simpler, Beans, Onions, Garlic, maybe pepper.  Should I add bbq sauce?

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 02:16:35 AM »
Beans should be good to go after 3-4 hours or so, not the whole time. I've never had to add water or other liquid. The bean pot IS the drip pan! I use a CI camp oven on the lower level. (Need a bigger one!) I'm making these today for a picnic on the 4th and the first of my e-cook docudramas. Fantastic recipe thanks to @OoPEZoO

Habanero BBQ Basement-Baked Beans. 

Ingredients
3 large cans of Bush's baked beans (the 55oz sized)
1 large diced sweet onion (or a handful of little ones)
I usually brown the onion in the bacon grease left over in the cast iron after I pull the bacon out
1lb diced bacon cooked, including the bacon grease
1 diced yellow pepper
1 diced orange pepper
1 diced red pepper
1 cup BBQ sauce (I like Sticky Fingers Memphis original)
 OR” 2/3 C Honey and 2/3 C Brown sugar
1 cup brown sugar
5-6 hot peppers (I usually use jalapeņos because I always have some)
1 Tbs Pez hot dust
Sometimes I also toss in a chopped up pack of hot dogs or some pulled pork from a previous cook

That's it.  Mix that shit up and plop it under your pork shoulder for a few hours.  I don't cook it for a set amount of time.  I do it more by the consistency of the beans. I like them thick, like able to eat them with chopsticks thick. Refrigerating them overnight and reheating them the next day seems to really thicken them up.  I also believe it helps the flavors mix together better. The secret ingredient that Marty was referring to is my smoked pepper dust I made with last years pepper crop. It consists of scotch bonnets, jalapeņos, and a few cayennes.  They were smoked for a day, then finished in my dehydrator, then ground into power. It's pretty damn hot, but oh so flavorful. I like to drop about a tablespoon of that into the beans as well.

BTW.....this recipe makes A LOT! Like enough to feed 25-30 people. So adjust it accordingly.

And here's a spin from the BBB Master himself - @1buckie

My standard one ain't too much different, except for the ratio would be one #10 can (117oz) to less ( maybe half) of the bell pepper amounts + half a sweet white onion + in place of brown sugar / BBQ sauce is a big BLOB of honey.....Like that there's no green bells in there.....they conflict with this type thing.............
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 02:20:56 AM by MartyG »

terrymo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 05:22:34 AM »
OK I was reluctant to try these because of the apple pie filling. I thought WTF, that's going to be too sweet or taste weird. But once I did, I was sold. Be sure to chop the apple pie filling chunks to the size of your beans. I've asked people if they tasted anything unusual or could guess the "secret ingredient". Nobody could tell there was apple pie filling in the beans.

I put the beans in a disposable aluminum foil catering pan with foil covering the top. Double the pans (one inside the other) if they seem like they are too flimsy. Poke a hole the size of your finger in the center of the foil to allow the pork drippings in without over smoking the beans. Push the foil down slightly in the center to funnel the drippings to the hole. Put these on the lower rack of the WSM when the pork butts hit "the stall" at around 170 degrees.

Once your pork butts are done (probe tender in several spots with a bamboo skewer or similar) remove your pork butts, wrap them in heavy duty foil, then in old towels, and place in a cooler. Move the beans to the top rack, take off the foil, and stir in the meat drippings. Leave uncovered for 1-2 hours and stir about every 20 minutes to get more exposure to the smoke. Once the beans are the right consistency (not to dry or too much liquid) and your preferred smokiness, cover them with another piece of foil and hold in the WSM until your pork is shredded. If you are serving this to kids (or adults that don't like things too spicy) I would not put in the chile powder on your attempt.

Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans

3 or 4 slices bacon (or more) diced
2 28-oz cans Bush's Original Baked Beans
1/2 c. Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite) I use KC Masterpiece or whatever I have
1 lb. (or more) leftover pulled pork or beef, or crumbled cooked pork sausage
1 20-oz can apple pie filling (chop up the apple chunks to the size of your beans)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. Mustard (I use whatever is in the frig)
1 tsp chipotle or cayenne powder (optional, to taste*)
1 tsp Blues Hog barbecue rub (I use whatever rub i used on the pork butts)

Brown bacon, and saute onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients.

*This ican be a rather spicy recipe for some folks due to the chipotle/cayenne powder. Feel free to leave it out if you'll be feeding those who prefer a less spicy taste*

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 05:45:01 AM »
Jeepdad's from Smoke Ring is where I got the idea......only difference is usually what I do is less ingredients so it goes together quicker......
If you put them in for the whole cook, it will fill up & even overflow the pan, don't add water, you'll probably find yourself ladling out some liquid because they are still too soupy....
last four hours of the cook is usually how it goes.....

(Whole cook, too much !!)

Here's some general ideas for the simpler mix....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/nothing-new-just-some-pork-beans/msg26001/#msg26001

Keri's Hogapple ones are great & these ones from Wampus on Bretheren:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109907

Wampus's Peach Bourbon Baked Beans

Ingredients:
2 cans (15 oz) of cooked Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
4 slices of thick sliced bacon, chopped
1 lb maple fatty (smoked ahead of time), crumbled/diced
1 med onion, diced
1/2 bell pepper (I like orange or yellow)
1 can (21 oz) peach pie filling (run knife through can to cut up larger pieces into smaller pieces)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Famous Dave's Apricot Bourbon BBQ Sauce
2 TBS worschestershire sauce
1/3 cup bourbon
1 lg clove garlic, minced
2 TBS yellow mustard
1 TBS rub (I like SM Sweet & Spicy)
1 TSP Ground Cayenne Pepper (OPTIONAL)

Directions:
-Smoke Fatty (can be smoked well before), crumble or dice
-Brown Bacon in skillet (about 1/2 way)
-Add onion & pepper - cook until just carmelized
-Slowly add bourbon & garlic - simmer until caramelized
-Remove from heat
-Add remaining ingredients to skillet, mix thoroughly
-Put in pan and place in smoker
-Smoke for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally (I smoke for 4 hours)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Matt_T

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 06:02:15 AM »
Great now I want these today too - I'll just add them to the list. Great recipes - thanks for posting the question @ClubChapin good luck with yours!
Keep it simple stupid

terrymo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 06:22:11 AM »
I've never used water in the water pan of my WSM. I foil the water pan inside and outside, toss the balled up foil remnants in the bowl then put an aluminum foil tray (or two side by side) inside to catch the majority of the drippings. I leave the bottom foil on for multiple cooks but take the top foil out and throw it away each time.  Save that golden delicious pork fat goodness that ends up in the drip pan, put it in a small mason jar and allow it to cool to room temp. Put on the lid and put in the frig for future use. I do the same when I cook bacon. You know you're a redneck when...you have a mason jar of pulled pork fat and a mason jar of bacon fat in your frig at all times.