Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Me And AcrossFromHoss Head To Scotland  (Read 3494 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Me And AcrossFromHoss Head To Scotland
« on: June 12, 2015, 05:50:01 PM »
There is a fella selling smoking wood about an hour from where I live...the small town is called Scotland. AFH and I have been thinking about going for a while now and today was the day we finally got it off our shoulders. They have whiskey staves that are actually sourced from the real Scotland....making them SCOTCH staves. I love Scotch so finding that out sealed the deal. Our haul:

The damage:

55 lbs Scotch barrel (we got his last 25 pound box and needed another so he gave us 3-10 pounders for the same price)
25 lbs Rum barrel
25 lbs cherry
10 lbs wine barrel
2x2.5 lbs peach
2x2.5 lbs apricot
2x2.5 lbs plum
2x2.5 lbs pear

A closeup of a wine chunk showing a bit of crystallization:

I just had to try some of this wood today so picked up a chicken when we got back and rubbed it down with some grape seed oil and Dizzy Dust. The forecast called for showers so I was on the front porch doing my hillbilly routine:

Got my wife to hold the new Blue Thermapen:

She had her damn finger showing again:

This was one juicy chicken boys....very nice taste from the rub and a single chunk each of Scotch and Cherry. Did up some King Oyster Mushrooms to go with the bird too:

« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 05:59:34 PM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Me And AcrossFromHoss Head To Scotland
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 06:07:25 PM »
nice score.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

AcrossFromHoss

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 07:10:44 PM »
That place was like Disney World. we opened a box of just about everything the fellow had and left with most of it. I've got sausage stuffed mushrooms and a NY strip on now doing a reverse sear smoked with a couple pieces of the scotch. Thanks again for driving Hoss. And for the chicken sample.
"Seeing pictures of a nice steak without viewing the middle is like seeing a nice pair of tits in a bra. You tease!!!!"
 22.5 black OTG kettle, 18.5 WSM, Jumbo Joe

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 07:21:16 PM »
Looking over across the street I can see AFH's Black 22 OTG when he pulls it out from under the carport to cook. It comforts me.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

SixZeroFour

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 07:39:17 PM »
What a haul! I'm extremely jealous of you lads - there is nobody with fresh/bulk woods around here let alone that sweet buffet. And lol at the thermapen shot Hoss - Priceless ;D ;D
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

AcrossFromHoss

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 08:38:17 PM »
What a haul! I'm extremely jealous of you lads - there is nobody with fresh/bulk woods around here let alone that sweet buffet. And lol at the thermapen shot Hoss - Priceless ;D ;D

I've got a friend in Chilliwack. He's been able to source some dark cherry but he is constantly looking for other varieties if he comes across anything ill keep you in mind he'd have no issues packing a box for ya.
"Seeing pictures of a nice steak without viewing the middle is like seeing a nice pair of tits in a bra. You tease!!!!"
 22.5 black OTG kettle, 18.5 WSM, Jumbo Joe

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 09:05:04 PM »
That's what I'd call a worthy road trip. Well done, guys.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 09:45:51 PM »
That is outstanding, fellas!!

That should keep both of you going for awhile, eh.   :D 8)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 09:52:34 PM »
Nice haul!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 04:59:56 AM »
Nice load there guys! Love the finger your wife always adds. Remind her of the things you could be doing on the Internet, WKC isn't all that bad.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 05:41:17 AM »

I've got a friend in Chilliwack. He's been able to source some dark cherry but he is constantly looking for other varieties if he comes across anything ill keep you in mind he'd have no issues packing a box for ya.

That would be great - thank you! 8)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 05:52:15 AM »
There is a fella selling smoking wood about an hour from where I live...the small town is called Scotland. AFH and I have been thinking about going for a while now and today was the day we finally got it off our shoulders. They have whiskey staves that are actually sourced from the real Scotland....making them SCOTCH staves.
Nope, that would make them Whisky staves. ;)
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA