Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Refilling my SS Performer  (Read 3546 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Refilling my SS Performer
« on: May 29, 2015, 04:56:48 PM »
After 11 months of solid use off my secondhand SS Performer, I'm out of propane.  So, I want to fill it up, but need some advice...First, how do I get this darn thing removed?  I'm attaching two pics to show you what I have.  It appears to have been retrofitted with the overfill protection device.  So am I good?  Let me know.  Also, I'm thinking of going to a local U-Haul to refill.  Any better recommendations?  Thanks in advance for any help!

Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Refilling my SS Performer
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 05:07:02 PM »
You've got the quick release fitting. Pull the brass sleeve away from the regulator and the regulator and tank should separate.

You may need to call ahead and see if you can find someone that will fill a quick release. If not, you may need to find an adapter.

If you tank doesn't have a current inspection, you'll need to have it certified or find someone that will fill it anyway.

You do have the good valve.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 05:14:40 PM »
First, congrats on owing the greatest grill that Weber ever made!  Props to you and your grill. 

Many SS Performers came with OPD tanks, and it looks like yours was one of those.  The way to remove the tank is to pull back on the collar of the brass fitting on the tank.  This is the same connection as a pneumatic wrench or nailer, if you've ever seen or used one of those.  Pull the collar back toward the valve on the tank, and the male part of the connection will pop loose.  Then you can lift up on the tank to separate it from the hanging bracket and lower it down through the frame. 

U-Haul or any refilling station will be able to help you, as long as they aren't confused or alienated by that quick-connect union you have (encourage them to check through their selection of fittings if they seem confused).  Your 5-pound tank will hold about a gallon of fuel.  The only trouble you might run into is if your tank is older than 12 years (there is a date stamped somewhere on the tank or handle).  If they balk at that (they don't always pay attention), you'll need to find a place that will re-certify your tank (for $8-10) for another 5 years.  Or you'll need to find an online source or an RV dealership that will sell you a new tank (but these can be very pricey). 

Good luck, and welcome to WKC!
One of the charcoal people.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 06:20:29 PM »
Thanks guys!  I got it off...It required just a twist and pull.  We'll see tomorrow how the fill up goes.  @mike.stavlund this is my second performer.  I had to move from Missouri to Las Vegas last year and leave my 2009 performer behind with my dad.  I'm looking forward to seeing it this summer.  When I got here I waited till I found one on CL for $50...it was a 1997 model based on the code on the lid and seemed hardly used.  I love how the SS performer looks...and, well, performs! 

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 11:07:16 AM »
@crowderjd

Congrats..post a pic of your ss ride..we want to see her.

Try uhaul and ace hardware...just call and say..i have a 5 gallon with quick release..will you fill her up....

Thatll result in A quick yes or no.

Coin toss if they check your date code on the tank related to certification.

Happy grilling.
Grills

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 08:05:05 PM »
@ClubChapin, @mike.stavlund, and @toolhead thanks for the help.  I found a place that sells propane less than a mile from my house...actually a very odd Chevron station.  I went in and told them I needed propane at the checkout counter and the lady said she'd send a guy around back.  I went back to the tank, and when the guy came up, he said, "Holy S#$T what is that?"  He wondered if he could fill it, but attached an adapter to the hose and filled it right up.  Took it home and had it on in about 15 minutes. 

Thanks again, and here's a pic of the performer in action tonight:

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 08:08:09 PM »
That is a nice SS Blue!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 08:33:17 PM »
Congrats on your success, @crowderjd !!  And WOW is that ever a gorgeous grill!  My heart just skipped a beat. 

Let us know what you're cooking on that beauty!
One of the charcoal people.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 09:23:59 PM »

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 09:39:52 PM »
I love that black ash catcher on that Blue SS Perf.  Was that an original color ash catcher for that grill?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 05:32:49 AM »
... I went in and told them I needed propane at the checkout counter and the lady said she'd send a guy around back....

That's about how it works at my Ace, too, I have to prepay but I have to be careful they don't ring it up as a typical BBQ tank refill when I say it's for a grill, the 20lb size. This is because they don't know what a "5lb" tank is, in their system it has to be rung up as a "4lb" tank, whatever that is.

At less than $5 once or twice a year [and the trip(s) to get refilled] I like it better than swapping out 1lb tanks on the post-'04 design.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 06:02:44 PM »
4.59 fill up...love it!

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 07:10:34 PM »
Nice blue SS . Glad I say your post over the spring I scored a Red SS with 2 tanks it will be awhile till I need to fill them up ,so reading this post was some helpful info. Thanks