Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Two dollar thrift store serendipity  (Read 2864 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Two dollar thrift store serendipity
« on: May 27, 2015, 03:22:41 PM »

There was a half off sale at our favorite thrift store on Sunday, so I talked my kids into a trip. No Weber grills, gear, or books (my usual prowls) but some good cooking gear. A small carbon steel paella pan which will be nice, and I also picked up a smallish rectangular pan with a short rim. I figured it would be just the thing to nestle between charcoal baskets for roasting veggies and other things that need good air circulation. But I was even more excited today when I saw how it fits right underneath the top rail of the Weber warming rack. Just the thing to expand second-tier cooking, and the perfect way to roast some curried potatoes over the chicken legs and thighs tonight. Not bad for two dollars!

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers
One of the charcoal people.

effinUker

• WKC Brave
Re: Two dollar thrift store serendipity
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 03:25:36 PM »
that's awesome. every time i'm at a thrift store (several times a week) my criteria is "can i put a fire in it?" or "can i put it in a fire?"  great find!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 03:26:08 PM »
Great stuff is to be had in these places !!!

Nice compact pan !!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 03:29:11 PM »
Right on, @effinUker .  In a world filled to the gills with non-stick cooking vessels of all kinds, thrift stores are our salvation.  No way would I put that toxic stuff in a high-heat environment like a grill.  We need steel and cast iron and aluminum and other old-school options!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 04:16:36 PM »
I like the way you think @mike.stavlund
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 03:37:59 AM »
that's awesome. every time i'm at a thrift store (several times a week) my criteria is "can i put a fire in it?" or "can i put it in a fire?"  great find!

Oh yes this.

Like the tray, Mike. Wonder if with sufficient oil you could use that pan as a griddle since you'd have plenty of heat up there on the rack.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 03:44:07 AM »
Right on, @effinUker .  In a world filled to the gills with non-stick cooking vessels of all kinds, thrift stores are our salvation.  No way would I put that toxic stuff in a high-heat environment like a grill.  We need steel and cast iron and aluminum and other old-school options!

Long live carbon steel and cast iron! 

No literally.....the shit lasts forever  ;D
-Keith

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 12:50:13 PM »

I extended my streak today with some long, square skewers, and what some of you might recognize as a Brinkman smoker charcoal bowl(a nice mod to replace the smallish water pan in the older WSMs). I immediately recognized it mixed in with the baking pans, no doubt due to many hours spent scrubbing the one I have at home. But now I am wondering how in the world it got there, and tortured by the thought that someone bought a cheap WSM five minutes before I got there...

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 05:29:56 PM »
I love thrift stores Mike. If you remember that's where I got my corn n tator ring.
A Wonderful Family!!!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 06:59:39 PM »
Your corn n tator ring is a major factor in my thrift store addiction, @Peaspurple . I recognized that tag as soon as you posted your photo.