Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How do you fix a Lose leg socket  (Read 2999 times)

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
How do you fix a Lose leg socket
« on: May 04, 2015, 06:50:38 AM »
Ok just wondering if anyone has any good methods to fix the legs from falling out of the sockets without drilling a hole and putting a screw in I've seen some pipe expanders but most are for larger pipe I'm thinking most of the time it's from people twisting the leg into place or pulling them in and out to much and the end of the leg getting compressed to much ? Any info would be helpful thanks
BBQ to live live to BBQ

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: How do you fix a Lose leg socket
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 08:24:29 AM »
Yes, most always it's a matter of using a broomstick or the like to gently flare out the size of the leg just a tad...

They get like that from disassembly to transport or just from moving around a lot.....in extreme cases, I've added a thin strip of lead or alum. foil along with the leg pushing in, but that's only on ones that are really beat & old.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 08:44:40 AM »
Yes, most always it's a matter of using a broomstick or the like to gently flare out the size of the leg just a tad...

They get like that from disassembly to transport or just from moving around a lot.....in extreme cases, I've added a thin strip of lead or alum. foil along with the leg pushing in, but that's only on ones that are really beat & old.....

Ok good info thanks for the input
BBQ to live live to BBQ

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 06:29:56 PM »
@1buckie , great tip. I just gave my brother in law my ol OTG. It has its qwirks but this will help out the front leg that pops out sometimes.
Own: 14' Black Performer Silver , Retiring 06' Black OTG.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 12:18:11 AM »
I've had some rescued kettles with wire brads between the legs and sockets.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 06:32:55 AM »
Being old school, I like a wrap of duct (duck??) tape around the leg, but a strip of tape straight down works too 8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 05:28:53 PM »
Ok I found that a 11/16 or 17 mm deep well socket seems to work pretty well to swedge out the end of the kettle legs so they go back in tight again I just carefully tapped it into the end of the leg with a rubber mallet then used a wood dowel through the other end of the front leg to knock it back out it fits pretty tight the back legs I was just careful not to drive it in to far so I could pull it back out since u can't get a dowel in the rear legs to knock it back out
BBQ to live live to BBQ

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 07:50:43 AM »
I crammed a paperclip into the socket(s) of an old 22 OTS that got flown over a privacy fence (Crazy 8itch..)
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 09:45:13 AM »
Ok I found that a 11/16 or 17 mm deep well socket seems to work pretty well to swedge out the end of the kettle legs so they go back in tight again I just carefully tapped it into the end of the leg with a rubber mallet then used a wood dowel through the other end of the front leg to knock it back out it fits pretty tight the back legs I was just careful not to drive it in to far so I could pull it back out since u can't get a dowel in the rear legs to knock it back out

This is a great idea.

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791