Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Craigslist find with a suprise inside  (Read 3234 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Craigslist find with a suprise inside
« on: April 01, 2015, 05:43:06 AM »
A Long overdue post:

I found this back in November but it sat untouched in the garage until now due to horrible weather.

Back in the fall i was looking for an 18" kettle that would primary be a small tailgate party grill. Something i would keep unassembled in the garage ready to throw in the trunk and hit the road. My other kettle(s) would be the primary patio cookers.

Ive bought and sold a few craigslist kettles this year and found that clean up is fairly easy and cheap as long as there is no major lid or bowl damage. When looking for a cheap kettle online, the one common part issue i have found that is a deal breaker is the vent fins. Sure they can be removed and replaced but the parts often cost as much as the used kettle does, and the labor involved in removing rusted ones isnt worth it on a one touch kettle. On a performer i would put the work in but i digress. For cheap kettles damaged fins just dont make sense for me.

I found a 18 inch kettle not too far from work and it was priced right on craigslist.

It had a super clean grate which was a bonus

but clearly it was dirty and the photo didnt show the cleaning fins

I was a little leary but given that this was destined to be a basic tail gate grill using primarily high heat for burgers dogs etc. I was willing to take a $20 gamble.

I met the owner and picked up and was surprised at what i saw inside, or should i say, what i didnt see inside.

I couldnt see the one touch fins, because there were no one touch fins, Its a Code EZ 3 wheeler!

The snow finally melted this week so i dragged it out of the garage and gave it a clean up and actually used it for a quick cook the other night.

I do have two questions for the group here:

1. It didn't kill the fire as quick as my other kettles. Normal for an 18? Perhaps the vents may be a touch misshapen. Any advice on reshaping 3 wheel vents back to fit the kettle more snug? The Lid vent spins fairly freely too. Can the rivet be tightened? should i drill out and replace with a screw or bolt? should ignore it if the lid vent is critical in choking off fire.

2. For low and slow i feel the three wheel design does allow more control but i bought this for mostly wide open grilling. Am i better off re-listing on craigslist and try to get a one touch instead? Perhaps someone who specifically wants a 3 wheeler would appreciate it more then i would?

I would to hear your feedback regarding this.

Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

GregS

• WKC Performer
Re: Craigslist find with a suprise inside
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 06:40:12 AM »
that's a great $20 find.  and very nice clean up.

i think you can reshape the bottom vents with a rubber mallet and some careful persuasion.  i'm sure others will chime in on that. 

three wheelers are great for wide open cooking, it's been done that way for decades.  now whether someone else would appreciate it more?  maybe, it's in nice condition and is a cool kettle.
I only use kettles with lid bales.

stonge9

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 08:46:19 AM »
what was your method for cleaning the inside of the kettle?

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 09:03:11 AM »

A highly technical two step process:
1. garden hose
2. wipe with clean rag  :D

Kidding of course. The crud in the photos was just old caked on ash but it came off instantly with water. This was a really easy cleanup, no grease. Many kettles that i get are very dirty. in those cases i will cover the kettle with oven cleaner or simple dish soap, let soak overnight, and then scrape the grease off with a putty knife or razor blade.

This was a OTG i found that was in good shape but was COVERED in grease/ Overnight soak coated in dish soap and the grease scraped off with a razor blade.  Left side before scraping, right side after. It came off like old rolls of 35 MM film, you can see some of the grease ribbons in the bottom right corner of the photo. Kettle looked brand new when i was done.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 09:06:08 AM by CharliefromLI »
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

stonge9

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 09:05:59 AM »

A highly technical two step process:
1. garden hose
2. wipe with clean rag  :D

Kidding of course. The crud in the photos was just old caked on ash but it came off instantly with water. This was a really easy cleanup, no grease. Many kettles that i get are very dirty. in those cases i will cover the kettle with oven cleaner or simple dish soap, let soak overnight, and then scrape the grease off with a putty knife or razor blade.

This was a OTG i found that was in good shape but was COVERED in grease/ Overnight soak coated in dish soap and the grease scraped off with a razor blade.  Left side before scraping, right side after. It came off like old rolls of 35 MM film. Kettle looked brand new when i was done.

:) Thank you!

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 09:27:48 AM »

Here is a pretty thorough and comprehensive step by step to clean your kettle Stonge9!

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-grill-restoration-interior-and-exterior-kettle-cleaning/
Kettle collector AND cooker!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 07:15:13 PM »
I'd say keep it, I don't have a three wheeler, but it took a couple of cooks on my one touches before they shut down right, maybe the same case here?

stonge9

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 10:21:48 AM »

Here is a pretty thorough and comprehensive step by step to clean your kettle Stonge9!

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-grill-restoration-interior-and-exterior-kettle-cleaning/

Now we're talking! Thank you, I am new around here so I appreciate the help!