Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Spatchcock a Turkey help.  (Read 2604 times)

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
Spatchcock a Turkey help.
« on: December 10, 2014, 10:03:57 AM »
I have a 14lb turkey and a 22"OTG.
I hate to split the bird and find out i was better not to split it.
Anyone try this on a 22? i did a search and seems like a lot of the post were done on a 26.
Own: 14' Black Performer Silver , Retiring 06' Black OTG.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Spatchcock a Turkey help.
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 11:36:49 AM »
I've only split them a few times, but some folks really like that method.......14# I guess is a safe size......

It does get you pretty even cooking........

Split completely n half & then you can place the halves however to get the best heat.......

My normal set is down in on the charcoal grate, pan w/ coals all around.......

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 01:49:11 PM »
I did one on thanksgiving. Look for my post. It will work, it will be tight though. I was cooking pretty hot, about 375, next time I will aim for 325.  I would shield the legs with some foil once they get nice and brown. Using some fire bricks might help keep the heat more indirect and protect the legs a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 01:50:38 PM »
Good luck. Here is a pic of the bird on

And finished

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 04:19:43 PM »
thanks guys.Ill give it a shot. Think I am shooting for new years. First step is defrost the thing.
Own: 14' Black Performer Silver , Retiring 06' Black OTG.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 04:36:12 PM »
I don't spatchcock birds much since I found this technique from Gourmet magazine

http://www.gourmet.com/magazine/2000s/2009/06/leaping-frog-chicken

I tried it with an 18lb turkey (sorry no pics) and it works just as well. The way that its splayed out on the grill, I can easily separate the dark or light meat with a spatula or knife with one slice. Granted, its not going to win any points for appearance, but I was just wanting smoked turkey and stock. It cooks very evenly and its almost easier than cutting down the backbone.

Here is a linky (not me) that gives you another step by step demo.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/80099/leaping-frog-turkey-instead-of-spatchcock-a-moderate-success-with-qview

Give it a try!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 03:01:30 PM »
I need to thank Swamprb for his earlier post of this method. I tried it several weeks back and found it was so much easier than removing the backbone (which some folks enjoy to nibble on once the bird is carved) and then breaking the breast bone.  I closed it back up after taking it off the grill and the appearance was pretty good. 13lb turkey was done in a bit under two hours.
Uncommon sense seeker